General — TransplantLyfe

General

COVID-19 Vaccine intentions

JimGleasonTransplant Patient
Updated May 29, 2021 in General

As the COVID-19 vaccine rollout expands, while each state is responsible for setting priorities for who will be offered the vaccine first (guided by CDC recommendations), each transplant candidate and recipient (and family member) face the decision of whether to take that opportunity when offered or not. No doubt you will be faced with that choice before everything is known about the effects of taking the vaccine, but the overall transplant medical team recommendation seems to be that the risk of getting the virus and its impact is far greater than any known effects of taking the vaccine. So, if you were offered the vaccine today, what would your choice be?

1. COVID-19 Vaccine intentions23 votes
    1. Yes, I will take the vaccine when offered
      95.65%
    2. No, I will not take the vaccine
        0.00%
    3. Maybe, but I have concerns first
        4.35%

1 - 30 of 44 Replies

• JimGleason_TRIOTransplant Patient

Interesting. In our poll here, 100% say YES, they will take the vaccine when offered. In the same poll with a wider transplant patient community, 66% said YES, 15% said NO, while the remaining said MAYBE with concerns.

January 21, 2021

Interesting that 100% responded here (8 replies) YES, while in a larger poll in a wider transplant patient community, I received 66% saying YES, 16% saying NO, while the rest said MAYBE, with concerns. If you haven't already taken the poll above, feel free to do so now and be counted.

PS: I got my first shot last week supported by a recommendation from my heart transplant team, of course, (NO side effects) and await the 2nd follow-up shot on Feb 2nd

January 21, 2021
  • garyklausnerTransplant Patient

I received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine last week and did not think twice about the decision. I had no side effects and it was very similar to taking the seasonal flu shot which I also take every year.

January 21, 2021
  • michelleTransplant Patient

My transplant team is recommending the COVID vaccine, and I am registered and anxiously awaiting my appointment slot to be given to me by my county health department.

January 21, 2021
  • TWillisTransplant Patient

My transplant team recommended that I wait at least 3 months Post transplant to receive the vaccine.

January 22, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I cannot even apply to be vaccinated - anyone else facing this issue??

January 25, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Same here @Karin! It’s very hard to get on a list.

January 26, 2021
  • DeAnna_SDonor

I am a pre-donor. If/when my team recommends it and it is available to me I will do it simply because I believe in vaccines. I've gotten a flu shot every year for 25 years. Just recently had my first dose of shingles vaccine.

I personally do not feel at great risk of COVID complications but I belueve in vaccination for the greater good.

January 27, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Has anyone heard anything about vaccination side effects? I'm not able to be vaccinated yet where I am, but front line workers and some elderly people have already received the vaccine, and now the stories are coming out about adverse side effects and some people have actually died from those side effects. I wasn't worried about getting the vaccine but now I'm having a few second thoughts. I'll probably still get it whenever it becomes available to me, but has anyone else heard of or experienced this? Sometimes I just want to take my family and go live in the middle of no where and grow my own food and just be completely off grid. Except, oh yeah, I need my transplant meds!

January 27, 2021
  • michelleTransplant Patient

I will preface this by saying that I am both a transplant patient (liver transplant 5/20) and someone who works in public health policy.

The (extremely rare) few individuals who have had severe, adverse events following a COVID-19 vaccines are individuals who - in general - have an adverse event with vaccines in general. Think people who can't get the flu vaccine because of an egg allergy.

With respect to the side effects, while some people feel sluggish, have headaches, etc. after the second dose, these aren't an adverse event or complication or life threatening. And feeling off for a day or is way better than the potential outcome of a COVID infection.

January 27, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I received my first already, with the blessings of my transplant team, and go next week for round 2. Only a sore and some extra fatigue for a day or two.

January 28, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Good to know! I had severe reactions to the flu vaccine prior to my transplant due to my pre-existing medical conditions, and was totally prepared to have the same effects when I got the flu vaccine in the fall but ended up totally fine. That gives me hope for the Covid vaccine. I love science and medicine and all it can do, but it can be so hard to navigate sometimes

January 28, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Yay! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not even eligible for the vaccine yet, but it's so encouraging to hear other people's positive experiences.

January 28, 2021
  • mikemTransplant Patient

Got my First Vaccine shot yesterday! This is me in the waiting room after getting the shot. Check out the sticker. Lol. So far my arm hurts. Fingers crossed. Second shot lined up in a few weeks.

February 1, 2021
  • KstarTransplant Patient

I would like to be vaccinated, but the Florida governor signed an executive order stating only 65 and over and health care workers can be vaccinated. So @Karin i too can’t get vaccinated yet. I had written letters to state representatives, and was able to get the message out to my local @fox4news by doing an interview advocating for transplant recipients to be part of the high risk risk group regardless of age! Unfortunately, Florida’s governor won’t really budge... You can see the full interview with this link https://www.fox4now.com/news/coronavirus/transplant-patients-in-need-of-vaccine

February 4, 2021
  • lescp3Care Partner

Great news Mike...keep us posted on how you are feeling!

February 4, 2021
  • lescp3Care Partner

WOW amazing job at getting the message out!

February 4, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Same Karin. I am in California and I am considered to be in Tier 1c which is after all the 65 and older. I have written letters to all my local and state leaders trying to that changed so transplant patients can be higher up on the list. At this rate I may not get vaccinated until Fall.

February 4, 2021
  • Marychris1Transplant Patient
  • osideguyOther

Just trying to find a place is hard

February 5, 2021

It all depends on each state. Here in New Jersey, both my wife and I received e-mail invitations from our different hospital networks (her's based on a chronic medical condition and in my case - despite many qualifying medical conditions - that invitation came from my hospital in the neighboring state of Pennsylvania, based on my work as a member of the hospital's patient advisory board which qualified me as an employee and thus eligible for the shot). In several other stories in my patient and neighbor network, including NY state, Fl, etc. many are getting the vaccine through a variety of priorities set by each individual state. Best advice is to advocate for yourself based on local circumstances (as we have seen here), continue to be a 'patient patient', and follow those important safety guidelines for staying out of viral opportunities.

PS: My 2nd shot was Tuesday this week and NO side effects again, thank God! My wife, with a knee replacement surgery Tuesday, is scheduled for her 2nd shot next Tuesday (with the full surgeon and family doctor support despite being just out of that recent surgery).

February 5, 2021
  • Marychris1Transplant Patient

God to hear Jim. Illinois is doing a terrible with the vaccination roll out.

February 5, 2021
  • KstarTransplant Patient

Florida is also doing a terrible job for transplant recipients! @Marychris1 no one under 65 regardless of health conditions can even make an appointment! I was on our local news promoting awareness of the situation, as I have written letters to state leaders with no response... they don’t even respond to the news reporters here! https://www.fox4now.com/news/coronavirus/transplant-patients-in-need-of-vaccine

February 6, 2021
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

I just received my first Moderna vaccine yesterday at the recommendation of my transplant team! Some arm soreness and fatigue today but nothing terrible. I'm part of the transplant covid vaccine study at Hopkins and will be curious to find out if I develop antibodies. If anyone else is interested in the study you can visit transplantvaccine.org 😊

February 16, 2021
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

In what may be the first study of its kind, Johns Hopkins Medicine researchers have documented the reaction of nearly 200 solid organ transplant recipients to their first vaccine inoculation against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The findings, they say, provide evidence that both the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines can be safely given to this immunocompromised population.

February 17, 2021

I'm proud to have joined along with so many other recipients who have supported this ongoing study by submitting their innovative blood-draw-at-home device periodically pre and post-vaccine shots! Also nice to share that no-side effects with wither 1st or 2nd shot! When you can, get the shot!!

February 18, 2021
  • lescp3Care Partner
    February 21, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am really upset reading these notes / how can the governor of Florida not act upon these issues? And how can institutes such as Columbia presbyterian not have their act together to allow all its pts to get vaccinated and be part of a study?? Politics never cease to disappoint me! Science should rule over stupid politics at all times - it is time to nominate doctors and scientists to lead our world and not lawyers and financiers...

February 22, 2021
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I am scheduled for my first Moderna COVID vaccine tomorrow morning! I'm am excited and yet terrified. IDK know I am terrified of, it going wrong I guess.

March 6, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Hopefully everything will be ok. Expect a sore arm. 😊 Tylenol helped mine not be so sore. Good luck!

March 6, 2021