General — TransplantLyfe

General

If you have concerns, what are your concerns about taking the COVID vaccine?

JimGleasonTransplant Patient
Updated June 3, 2021 in General

There have been, and more are scheduled, on-line webinars sharing facts in response to transplant patient concerns over getting the COVID vaccine. If you have concerns, can you share them here so we all can learn together the facts as we know them today?

1 - 14 of 14 Other Answers

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm in Canada, and I'm definitely going to get the Covid vaccine when it's available to me. I do have questions specifically for how it will affect transplant patients, because I haven't heard a ton about that yet. Even with my transplant team, it's not something that's been addressed. I know it's currently not safe for me to go anywhere without the vaccine but that's about all the information I have. I've also had really intense reactions to other vaccines in the past, so I'm a little nervous just about how my body will handle the effects of the vaccine. But that's more specific to my health history, not being a transplant patient in general

January 11, 2021
  • JimGleasonTransplant Patient

I'm trying to get a link to a recording of a webinar addressing this transplant patient issue that focused on a transplant patient panel (I served on that panel as a TRIO member) addressing those questions to a team of experts heavily involved with the vaccine rollout and transplant patient experiences with it. As I am trying to get that, in summary, while there was acknowledgement that for a VERY small population of patients with past allergic reactions to vaccines and other things, the overwhelming experience to date (and that includes medical staff who are transplant recipients themselves who have now received the vaccine) has been without any significant side effects. Based on that fact, the unanimous consensus what that the risks associated with getting the virus were far greater than any risk of taking the vaccine. Many transplant programs are now putting out messages to their patients to take the vaccine when it becomes available (another big unknown is 'when').

Those Johns Hopkins researchers/doctors are conducting a study of transplant patient experiences with the vaccine with open registration for patients to join that study. To join the study or learn more go to https://transplantvaccine.org/

January 11, 2021
  • Kimothy80Transplant Patient

My main concern is whether or not the vaccine with interfere with the cocktail combo of meds that I take. Will it do something to our meds and cause rejection? How do we know that recipients, who take each take a different combination of drugs to prevent rejection or infection, won't get some sort of reaction that will affect or alter these drugs and, intern, cause complications for our transplanted organs?

I still plan on getting the vaccine but that is my number one concern.

January 11, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

My only concern is whether it will work as well for us as for those who are not immune suppressed. Vaccines normally are not as efficacious in people w autoimmune conditions or on drugs such as prednisone or Tac...

January 11, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am getting push back from both Columbia and Yale - neither one is ready to vaccinate transplant patients - how do I go about this?? As you know nephrologists are very risk adverse and they want to wait and see more data..

January 13, 2021
  • JimGleasonTransplant Patient

While I would listen to my transplant team, but in the final analysis, this is really your decision so if you decide to get the vaccine, my answer is to just watch for your state's rollout and when they make it available, sign up for the shot. There are certainly enough programs strongly recommending the vaccine for transplant patients, that I for one would feel safe getting the shot when it becomes available. The vaccine distribution may or may not be done through the hospitals you mentioned so watch out for where they are offering it.

January 13, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

On another note, is anybody nervous about NOT getting the vaccine? As a transplant patient I have a lot of fears about contracting Covid, and have kept myself very isolated and taken all the precautions when I do go out. But I'm curious is anybody else afraid of what will happen if they don't get the vaccine and have to remain in this state of hypervigilence with Covid? Also I know a lot of friends and family don't want to get the vaccine even if it becomes available to them, simply because they have too many questions. Any concerns about not having that herd immunity as well?

January 14, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Yes @AliEm14 i worry a a lot about getting Covid - and my friends and family have been great about protecting me - I truly appreciate all the efforts @lescp3 @Iris8324 and others have made to be safe around me - it is more risky for us but compared to being male (!), obese and old / we are pretty much en par

January 14, 2021
  • JimGleason_TRIOTransplant Patient

Keep in mind that the vaccine doesn't keep you from getting the virus (and it doesn't have any COVID virus in the vaccine!). It keeps you from getting sick with severe symptoms non-vaccinated people experience that we have all read about. You can still get the virus, and in doing so, could pass it on to others around you. So it's not a panacea that relieves you once vaccinated from still following all those guidelines of social distancing, mask-wearing, hand washing, etc.

January 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

yes, definitely still will be taking precautions after getting the vaccine. I feel like i'll just continue these practices for the rest of my life, even to prevent regular people sicknesses like the cold and flu with my weakened immune system post transplant. The idea of getting the vaccine does give me a little peace of mind though. I was just wondering if anybody else felt the same way?

January 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Well then I'll just be grateful I'm not an old, obese, male transplant patient ;)

January 15, 2021
  • JimGleason_TRIOTransplant Patient

Hey there - be nice. (Laughing as I respond to you) You too will be old some day, God willing, maybe not male and still trim, but hoping you live many years to see what you become (as I have and appreciate34 each and every day living it to the fullest)

January 15, 2021
  • rimkmrOther

Hi all! Dr. David Klassen, UNOS Chief Medical Officer, will be answering questions related to COVID-19 on a webinar tomorrow afternoon (EST). If you are interested, register using the link below:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6893528200002434574

January 19, 2021