General ā€” TransplantLyfe

General

Nervous around hospitals

DebTransplant Patient
December 1, 2023 in General

Hey all, I’m currently at the ER with my husbands aunt and I am kinda having an anxiety attack! The ER is packed with sick people in the rooms and hallways and when I hear someone start coughing my hearts starts racing and I get so nervous. Does anyone else get like this when you’re around sick people?? I avoid it if at all possible but today was an emergency and I had to come. They came in to test her for Covid and the flu and I thought I’d pass out at the thought of catching anything. I wear a mask and I’ve used a 1/2 a bottle of hand sanitizer, crazy right?? Or am I?

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I get it @Deb !! I get that way too and have had to take my dad to the hospital and worry!

separate and different anxiety when I have to go because there is an issue with myself and maybe a greater one when I am the care partner.. in some ways being the pt makes it easier - it is for survival

December 3, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Deb, my friend u r not alone, hang in there I hope your Aunt is ok. Definitely makes u feel vulnerable even tho u r doing everything ur suppose to do to stay well.

December 3, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I am the same way. No matter where I am, I panic when I hear anyone cough.

December 3, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I feel the same way. When my transplant hospital removed the mandate for masks it made me even more nervous. I recently had to take my son to Children's urgent care which is the same lobby at Children's ED. Children's hospital is fantastic but always full of sick kiddos. It breaks my heart. Kiddos are full of germs to begin with, and then it feels even more amplified in the hospital. I was probably manic about washing our hands during that visit, but thankfully neither of us walked away with anything other than and X-ray of his foot! (Which was not broken, thankfully)

December 9, 2023

1 - 7 of 7 Other Answers

• DebTransplant Patient

Thanks everyone. Eventually I’ll learn that my experiences are normal for us, as transplant recipients and those waiting. šŸ’š

December 3, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

TServold Yay so glad all is well w/u and your son..šŸŽ„

December 9, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

TServold

Im so glad there were no broken bones. I know hospitals and doctors offices are some of the those places we cannot avoid. Praying we can all stay healthy as this year ends and the new year to come!!

December 9, 2023