General — TransplantLyfe

General

Xmas food anxiety…

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
December 3, 2023 in General

Is anyone else worried about all the food displayed on buffets and standing receptions at parties during holiday season? I just worry I will get sick (and have had cause to worry!). I sometimes just elect to drink and eat dry bread… how do you handle it?

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I am the same way. If I am going somewhere with buffet-style eating I usually eat before I attend the get-together. When I am there I find the food that I will least likely have an issue with. That way I don't seem rude and I appear to be participating.

December 3, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

As someone living with Celiac I've always had a little anxiety around eating anything that I didn't prepare. Now, post transplant adds even more complication to that. I worry foods have sat out too long and developed bacteria that will make me sick. I usually bring my own snack in my purse and plan to eat ahead of time, and after the event concludes.

December 3, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I have not thought about it until now, I was not able to attend any functions for the last 3yrs due to back to back surgeries. This is my first year to go to a Christmas party. now it is making me think about eating b/c it will be finger foods prepared by different folks.

December 3, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

Oooh I never really thought about it. We don’t attend many parties or dinners. The main one is our Fire department banquet and most all food is in crockpots and warmers. I go more for fruit and cheese anyway. But I’m so glad you brought this up Karin.

December 3, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

For the most part if there’s food involved I’ll just avoid anything raw. I also tend to speak to the event host before hand and cleverly find a way to move through a buffet line before everyone else has gone and breathed on the food!

I’m also really vigilant about seating/standing on the outside of the room so I’m not in the middle of everything.

December 20, 2023