General β€” TransplantLyfe

General

18 year kidney transplant anniversary!

JeanmarieTransplant Patient
Updated January 4, 2024 in General

Today is my 18-year kidney transplant anniversary! I can't believe the kidney transplant just keeps on going. It has been an incredible 18-year journey. There are lots of ups and downs over the years. I was diagnosed with lupus nephritis when I was 16. I received a kidney transplant at 24 years old once both of my kidneys failed due to lupus. 

I have worked very hard to keep my body happy and healthy by eating a plant based diet and keeping an active lifestyle. It also keeps the lupus quiet. πŸ™πŸ»

I also want to thank my family and friends who have helped me so much over the years. I'm sure it's not always easy loving me. I am so grateful for all the love and support over the years. Of course, my incredible doctors and nurses who work tirelessly so I can stay alive. They are always there for me, and I will always be so grateful. 

Over this last year, I have become even more inspired by my fellow transplant warriors with becoming a community manager with Transplantlyfe.com and volunteering with ReMend.org. Every time I connect with a new person and listen to their story, I am filled with love and respect for the battle that we endure every day to be alive. And it is so worth it. πŸ’—

Organ transplant is not a cure. It's a treatment. It does not last forever. Despite taking large amounts of immunosupression medications every day, the immune system is too smart, and it can no longer be tricked by medications. That's one reason there can be rejection. 

I was placed on the transplant waiting list in September since the kidney function has been consistently under 20%. But it is hanging on. So I will celebrate this organ for as long as it lets me. I am not looking forward to the process again. The wait list in Southern California is 9 years. I am really hoping for another living donor situation. In the meantime, I will enjoy every moment that I can. πŸ™πŸ» ✨️Feel free to DM if you'd like to connect one on one, if it is helpful. I always love meeting and listening to fellow transplant stories πŸ’—

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

Congratulations! So glad to work along side you on this crazy journey. Keep at it. Look forward to continued conversations with you about how we can better help other transplant patients.

January 4, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Jeanmarie, Happy New Year!

I love your positive attitude I so hope this kidney will continue to take care of you until u have to have another TP. We all need to enjoy life it can change so quickly.

I am joining a gym first time ever at 63😊😊 looking to change up my exercise routine.

January 4, 2024
  • dlatchisonTransplant Patient

Jeanmarie—CONGRATULATIONS on 18 years! I'm thinking of you as you go through these next few phases of the transplant journey. I'd love to read more about your next steps if you plan to document them someplace.

What an incredible story. Thank you for sharing this.

January 4, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

18 years is amazing. Congratulations Jeanmarie. You’re an inspiration to so me and my husband. May you continue to be blessed with good health!!

January 4, 2024
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Congratulations @Jeanmarie !! I hope you celebrated or will celebrate soon.

January 4, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Congratulations on 18 years! I love celebrating each and every milestone, and 18 years is a big one! Hope you find some ways to honour you and your experiences today.

January 4, 2024
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

SOO excited for you and Happy that you did so much in 2023!!

Here's to another great one!

20 here you come...

January 8, 2024
  • Nor1Transplant Patient

Congratulations, Jeanmarie! 18 years that is so wonderful. I wish you continued years with your 20% but it’s also nice that you’re on the transplant list. You are a total inspiration. 🌻πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’›

Lenore

January 8, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Thank you everyone for all the kind words! You all inspire me every day!

January 10, 2024