General — TransplantLyfe

General

Piercing

TServoldTransplant Patient
January 4, 2024 in General

Has anyone added a new piercing after transplant? A few years ago I had three piercings in each ear lobe and had to let the third close up due to an infection. I would like to add it back, but if course am a little apprehensive considering the history. I'm sure I am over thinking it, but I'd love to hear if others have had any jewelry added.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi,

I have ear piercings - traditional, one in each lobe, but have never considered adding more...

I cannot imagine adding a third back would cause any issues but do check w your Dr!

January 8, 2024
  • lescp3Care Partner

My only advice is to NOT do it yourself at home (as my teen did when NOT given permission by her mama for a second - or third? - piercing!)

Sanitary conditions in the piercing centers ... seem quite wise :)

January 8, 2024
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Oh gosh @lescp3 !! I have never and would never perform one on my own. I'm good with needles. (diabetes background and some medical education) but not THAT good :) I'm sorry your teen did that. I have many friends who thought that was a good idea, 20+ years ago.

January 8, 2024
  • Nor1Transplant Patient

I don’t think it will cause a problem either as long as you clean it every day and put in good earrings. I had mine done when I was 20. I’m 69 now. I do remember on occasions throughout the years passing if I didn’t put in a good earrings, it would get infected and then I would clean it with alcohol and it cleared up in a couple of days. so I started only buying good quality earrings. Go for it!! It’ll be fun and give you some joy.

Always ask your doctor first.

Sterling silver, gold, and platinum rarely cause infections, so I’ve heard and only used myself.

Lenore 🌻💪🏼☀️

January 8, 2024