General — TransplantLyfe

General

Colonoscopies

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
January 10, 2024 in General

We all love them 😅

While they may be an important part of monitoring our health, I'm sure we can all agree they are less than pleasant.

I have one coming up, and I'm really working on my mindset to think of this as something I'm doing to support my body and make sure she's healthy versus focusing on the terrible parts (like drinking that wonderful prep and being chained to my bathroom)

What are some things you've done to help make these routine screenings a little less miserable?

Tagged:

1 - 15 of 15 Replies

• Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

Unfortunately when I have had to get my colonoscopy I just had to drink the prep stuff with grape juice. I tried to work on taking small sips with it. I dont have any other recs. Good luck friend

January 10, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

I had a friend give me advice and I will share. (She worked for my gastro doctor) First, find something you like to drink that’s clear or close and not carbonated. I went with lemonade and Gatorade. I chose to stop eating solid foods a few days earlier than I was suppose to so there was even less to get rid of. Eat jello it’s more filling. And if you can’t drink all the prep and feel too full, stop. It’s better to not vomit, if you do you have to start again. I didn’t drink all my liquid and I was very clean according to my doctor. I wish you the best of luck. I’m not due for a few more years!! Thank goodness. Oh and think of something good to eat when you’re all done!!

January 11, 2024
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I haven't had one, yet. I am not looking forward to doing it; though it's getting better from what I understand. My aunt just went through stage 4 colon cancer and is cancer free and she says they are getting better. Not great. Better.

January 11, 2024
  • JamieHaightExpert
    Other

@Filipe what are your thoughts?

January 11, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@TServold i have a family history too, which is why they’re being so vigilant about my screenings. I know there are more options now than they’re used to be, which I’m hoping is a good thing and will mean it’ll be easier on me

@Deb i’m doing more days of liquid diet too in hopes that helps. I like what you said about stopping rather than going until you throw up. I think that’s the approach I’m taking too. Obviously I’ll do as much as I can, but the last thing I want is to throw up. I also have an arsenal of anti nausea meds, pain meds and anti anxiety meds should I need them.

@Berriosa1234 i was planning on trying the just chug it approach. I did it every other time I had to drink something for a procedure and so far it’s been easiest for me? Just get it over with as soon as possible. Has anybody tried this and is it going to steer me wrong this time? 😂

January 11, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

AliEm14, I did like Deb slowed my eating down ate a lot of jello clear broth water ginger ale, I did the chung it down and worked for me if I felt like I was going to get sick I slowed it down. I to have a family history to I am not sure we would be candidates for cologuard so much less invasive.

January 11, 2024
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 I empathize - my most recent one was absolutely awful. I have difficulties fasting, so that is my first issue / I get weak and lightheaded easily. Then the diarrhea following the drinking of the awful liquid is terrifying… the actual procedure is the least of the issues since you are out, but waking up I always worry about nausea since any kind of opioid makes me feel bad. Soooo

my advice:

1) get the very first appt of the day, so that the fasting doesn’t extend during the day

2) eat very little several days before instead of just reducing intake the day before. The body gets used to the diet and there is less to get rid of w the treatment!

3) keep some sugary drinks with you so that you don’t go low the day before

4) be gentle w yourself after the scope and have a really hearty meal!

January 12, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Anytime I have some unpleasant test or test in general, I always get the earliest morning appointment. It's the easiest when it comes to fasting. And I reward myself with going out to eat for breakfast or picking up something delicious on my way home.

The prep, I always chug. No sipping. I recommend just getting it over with. It was the easiest when I drank it cold. A couple of days leading up to the prep I try to eat things like soups.

Good luck! I am definitely not looking forward to mine later this year.

January 13, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

For anyone who was curious my experience was actually really positive. I'd prepped myself after hearing so many stories of unpleasant experiences, and actually had to triple check to make sure I was doing it right because I had such an easy time. My doctor said he'd never heard of this in his entire career, so I'm not sure what kind of weird fluke of nature I am that I found it easy.

I did 3 days of liquids (Monday to Wednesday) before my procedure Thursday morning, with the last day being clear liquids. I'm not a big foodie anyway, so I actually didn't find the switch to liquids hard. I sipped a lot of bone broth, also drank a ton of boost juice drinks (I'm not sure if this is a universal thing or just a Canadian thing? It's like a clear liquid meal replacement drink). I ended up just chugging the prep, which I didn't find tasted bad (I'll thank my weird taste buds for that one. I also find texture far more off putting than taste, and luckily this had no weird textures). I think not eating for so many days before hand definitely helped, and I just made a super cozy bathroom set up. I spent a lot of that time in the shower and just moved back and forth, which made for a wet floor but helped a ton with my anxiety and just feeling clean.

I wish I had tips for anyone else who might be facing one of these, but I'm pretty sure I'm just weird and that's why I didn't mind it. 😅

January 22, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

AliEm 14

I am so glad things went well with your prep. I think it all depends on the type of prep and how strict they are about when and what to eat or drink. You’re are so positive and such an inspiration with everything you face!! 💚

January 22, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

AliEm14 so glad prep went well and you have this behind you.

January 22, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 I am so glad that it was a positive experience. Thank you for sharing with us what you did to help you through the experience. I always take the best nap afterward. I hope you got a solid nap.

January 23, 2024
  • RogerTransplant Patient

3+ years post KT. I get colonoscopies every 2 to three years because they always find polyps and other issues. Like everyone else the prep is the worst. I use crystal light lemonade and drink it through a straw as fast as I can to make it easier.

January 29, 2024
  • lescp3Care Partner

Ali: Thank you for your honesty and advice.... I now feel prepared for my next one (as someone over 50 is facing!)

January 29, 2024
  • VegasrailsTransplant Patient

I just finished my procedure two weeks ago. I wish I had read this post sooner, enjoyed the suggestions from everyone, for prepping. I normally have colonoscopy and endoscopy completed at the same time. Which has been my norm for the last twenty years, with the joint procedure completed every four-five year per direction of my doctor.

February 3, 2024