Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Potential Loss of Social Security Disability and LTD

JMHobdayTransplant Patient
January 25, 2024 in Kidney

I wanted to reach out to see if anyone may have had experience with the following situation. I have been on dialysis due to ESRD since August 2017 and have been on SSD and LTD. In the same timeframe, I became a cancer survivor, but the cancer battle has had lasting major negative effects on my body. I am eligible for a kidney transplant in early 2025 and my question is could I potentially lose my SSD and LTD if I get a transplant? The SSD and LTD were approved primarily on my ESRD diagnosis. I know this may be more of a legal question, but I thought someone may have been down this road already.

Does anyone know of any free legal support that might be available if needed?

Tagged:

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• Slm75Transplant Patient

From my own experience, I only got SSD for 3 years after the transplant. I was never on dialysis and my transplant was over 37 yrs ago.

January 25, 2024
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I don’t have much to add to this but just wanted to say this is a great question & topic to discuss. It took me so long to get SSD. I am 8 months post transplant now & have been wondering how long they provide benefits once transplanted.

January 25, 2024
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Such a good question! We should have a do ability expert weigh in - perhaps we can do a seminar around this @Berriosa1234

January 28, 2024
  • MHobdayTransplant Patient

Any one have anything to add to these responses? How does one locate advocates to assist in these types of issues (if they exist)?

March 12, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I will send you a DM. I might be able to help.

March 17, 2024