General — TransplantLyfe

General

How do you deal w sleeplessness

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
January 28, 2024 in General

Anyone else w insomnia? I think it is due to the tac dose before bedtime or maybe just general stress but I am hesitant to take Ambien due to being a single parent and I have tried sauna, calming teas, melatonin and soothing music!

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I've not really had an issue with insomnia, but maybe because that has to do with I only take tac in the morning? Now I'm curious if it affects my awareness at all.

I do notice trauma and stress plays a huge role in my ability to sleep. My nervous system has become extremely hypervigilent due to all that time in the hospital, being aware of my health... I find layering in supportive nervous system practices throughout my day has really helped, not just focusing on my bedtime routine

January 29, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

karin I to suffer from insomnia I have tried all otc with no success, I have ambien which my TP team gave me in October I have used it on several occasions it definitely helped but I do not want to get use to it so I take it sparingly. Hope this helps.

January 29, 2024
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Thank you @Melsamm - helpful and of course reassuring that I am not alone! Wish there was an easy fix

January 31, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Hi Karin! Sometimes I get into cycles where I am not able to sleep or not able to sleep well at all. I do take magnesium at night (prescribed by doc). That usually puts me right to sleep. It wasn't prescribed for sleep but it happens to put me right to sleep. When I am stressed or my mind prevents me from sleeping, I do not use screens for at least 30 minutes before bedtime. I will usually listen to an audiobook with my eyes closed. After that, I do Yoga Nidra. Which is a body scan while lying down. It's super relaxing. I use the Insight Timer app and type in Yoga Nidra. I usually never make it all the way through and I am asleep. Maybe it's worth trying it out?

January 31, 2024
  • DianaecheverriaTransplant Patient

Yes! There are nights I read until 2:00 a.m. or later before I get sleepy as well as waking up during the night. I'm on Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate. I tried Ambien and it worked for awhile but I eventually tapered off and stopped it. Nothing else has seemed to work for me.

February 1, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Diana I am on the same meds also. I really think that this issue needs to be addressed by our Drs. and to help us. Sleep deprived is AWFUL. I to have ambien and use it when I really really need it. So frustrating 🥱

February 1, 2024
  • DianaecheverriaTransplant Patient

I agree. I don't function well without a full night's sleep. I feel like I'm hung over the next day.

February 1, 2024