General — TransplantLyfe

General

NSAIDS

fern22Transplant Patient
January 29, 2024 in General

What has your transplant team / docs told you is acceptable to take post transplant? My whole life I was always told only Tylenol. Curious about Motrin/ Ibuprofen

Tagged:

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

we are not allowed to take any drugs that are metabolized in the kidneys - so please no ibuprofen/motrin…

January 29, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I was always told Tylenol. I have taken ibuprofen on occasion (though I was told what Karin said and it's not recommended. pain caused some serious desperation) and I personally feel ok about that. But I'm also making individualized decisions for my body. I wouldn't use it all the time.

January 29, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

This is a discussion I need to have at my visit next week. I suffer from migraines and lately they are getting worse to get rid of. In the past I have had to take up to 4 Aleve to get rid of them and now Tylenol doesn’t even take the edge off of the pain. I had one last week and it was horrible I couldn’t sleep or eat just a bad day. But I’m glad you brought this up. I really try hard to follow doctors orders.

January 29, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

They've always told me those are a big, no. I've had several doctors over the years prescribe meds like this. Anytime I have a new med prescribed I remind them about the transplant. Sometimes they check. And all new medications that come from another doctor I always run them by my nephrologist or transplant team. I like to double-check.

January 31, 2024
  • TheAurabeshTransplant Patient

The reason why NSAIDs are a no-no for us kidney transplant recipients is because they increase the internal pressure of the glomerulus, which is something we should avoid.

January 31, 2024