General — TransplantLyfe

General

Bone density test for transplant patients.

Footjoy_1988Transplant Patient
February 8, 2024 in General

I’ve had my kidney almost 37 years I’m 53. I just had a full knee replacement and the surgeon told me I had the bones of an 80 year old. I’ve been on a low dose of medrol(steroid) the entire time. Just curious if anybody has had similar issue? How was it treated? If not you should mix in a dexa scan to your treatment every year. I never had one a now have a problem. Would of been nice to know this 10-15 years ago and address it then before they have been so damaged.

Tagged:

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Congratulations on 37 years! That is quite an accomplishment!

This is a great reminder to get a scan. I get one every 3 years or so. I wasn't on steroids when I started my transplant journey. But now that I am I try to be vigilant in the long-term effects of steriods. I have not had any issues with brittle bones. I do take Vitamin D daily. Thank you for the reminder this is very important.

February 10, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Footjoy_1988 Congratulations that is wonderful how well you have done. I am 3yrs. LT. I am glad you mentioned about the Dexa scan it was mentioned to me, but I had so much going on I put it off, will definitely try to get it done. As far as I know I think my bones r ok but I have been off/on steroids a lot.

Welcome to Transplantlyfe great group of folks💚💙

February 10, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’m almost 4 years LT and my team has stressed how important yearly test are for all us due to the side effects of the meds we’re taking or have taken. I have managed to stay current except for dermatologist. I did find out I have mild osteopenia at my last scan and was told to take vitamin D3. I was thankful to find out early. Now just to get the courage to see the derm doc. Ugh. Wishing all a wonderful weekend!

February 11, 2024

Oh Deb the dermatologist doc to me is the easiest one. I do not like the GYN visit due to my mom having ovarian ca i am going once a yr. for that visit “hate it” I see liver/pcp every 6months. A lot of docs we have to see along with our labs.

Happy weekend to you to😊💚

February 11, 2024
  • Footjoy_1988Transplant Patient

I was telling my wife earlier today I’ve never been told once in 37 years to take vitamin d or get a dexa scan until now. I’m in Oklahoma always thought I had a good team. Considering a change after this bone issue. I understand they’re worried about new patients etc. There just isn’t a lot of info for these doctors with long term care. Seems like flying blind when you get out so far. They really don’t want to change or adjust anything to disrupt the previous years of success. Very frustrating

February 11, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

Footjoy_1988. The fact that you had your transplant 37 years ago is amazing in my eyes. I can’t imagine how things have changed from the surgery itself to the medicines we take. I think if you stay on top of your check ups they will watch closer. In my eyes your a miracle. All transplant survivors are!!

February 11, 2024

Thanks Deb, my journey started when I was 2 in 1972. HUS from ecoli. It’s all I’ve ever known. Glad to be on here with you all!

February 11, 2024
  • hazzlerTransplant Patient

Hi Footjoy_1988,

Congratulations on 37 years! I am about to finish my 34th year, quite an adventure, as you well know. I’m now 62.

In addition to taking prednisone since my transplant, I have secondary hyper parathyroidism, that developed about 15 years ago. Since it can cause bone loss, in addition to the Prednisone, I have been getting bone density scans regularly since. I have been taking D3 and a med named Calcitriol, along with Sensipar to keep my blood calcium levels balanced with my phosphorus.

My bone density dropped to osteoporosis levels and has since improved to just osteopenia.

I have issues with my bones and joints but have not needed a replacement just yet, which I credit to the meds.

Stay vigilant, ask what meds you can take and keep advocating for yourself.

Good luck to you for many more years of good health!

February 13, 2024

Hi Hazzler congrats to you to my friend. I am amazed at you both for your TP years. I am 3 years LTP and hope to reach the same as you both. I certainly admire you both for the TP journey you have been on. 💚💙

February 13, 2024

Thanks for the info Hazzler! Just started 2000mg D3 this week and will be looking into the Calcitriol.

February 13, 2024