General — TransplantLyfe

General

Exercising around the transplanted area

coopscadoopTransplant Patient
February 28, 2024 in General

Have any of you had issues when working out the muscles/areas around the transplanted organ? Any adverse effects to be mindful of when straining and strengthening?

1 - 4 of 4 Other Answers

• Footjoy_1988Transplant Patient

I’ve worked out with free weights without any issue since transplant. Squats, bench, incline , deadlift, sit ups, crunches, everything. I haven’t gone to the hard max out level, just the weight I’m comfortable doing without a spot.

February 28, 2024
  • LenTransplant Patient

Post lung transplant you have to restart exercise slowly. Now, many years later, nothing related to my transplant impacts my exercise.

February 28, 2024
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

After the weight restriction was lifted, I was advised to ease back into any weight lifting. I am still very careful when it comes to things in my abdomen. Even after an intense core workout I find the areas around my transplanted organs to be "sensitive". I have yet to determine if this is just me being hyper-aware or actually just related to working the muscles that were severely atrophied.

February 28, 2024
  • dlatchisonTransplant Patient

@coopscadoop, I've done A LOT of in-door cycling and HIIT work outs. I've never had much of an issue with those. I did a lot of strength training a few years back and never had a problem either. Obviously it's different for everyone, especially based on timelines post-transplant.

February 29, 2024