General — TransplantLyfe

General

All Things Transplant Drains

fern22Transplant Patient
March 6, 2024 in General

I never had a drain when I got my kidney transplant. However, as a transplant doula, I am curious to learn more about them and hear from people who have had them before.

Here's a safe space to talk about it and share your story. Maybe you have some resources to share with me?

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• TServoldTransplant Patient

I had two drains after my transplant. They were removed before I left the hospital. As I recall, they were specific to my pancreas. When the fluid was drained it was tested for amylase and lipase. I didn't enjoy how they pulled on my skin, even when pinned up to my gown and I sleep on my right side most comfortably, and they were on my right side which made sleeping difficult. Removing them was interesting... it felt funny, but exactly as it should; just a long tube being pulled out of my abdomen. Not much insight there, but I'd love to hear from others as well.

March 7, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

I had a liver transplant and also had 2 drains. The first few days they filled quickly but eventually slowed and were finally removed. They were very uncomfortable, like you said especially when trying to sleep. One was removed with ease but the last one was stitched in and it hurt quite a bit when they removed it. I never ask and don’t recall if they ever said they were testing it for anything.

March 7, 2024
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Thank you for sharing. This is very insightful for me.

March 10, 2024
  • Augusto885Transplant Patient

I had two drains, the sacs filled up quickly then slowed down towards the end. I remember feeling a sense of freedom getting those removed and watching them stitch me up was exciting; that site is still tender to this day. Like @TServold mentioned, it felt strange and exactly as described.

The only insightful story I have is that in the ICU right after surgery one of the nurses was moving me in my bed and the two filled sacs hit me hard right on my side where the surgery site is, and that knocked the wind out of me and I almost passed out. I knew then in the ICU that my life was going to be even more difficult as a recipient than life already is.

March 10, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I had my LTP during Covid so things seemed so different, I was by myself a lot bc they did not want family or friends around. I had 2drains also, they were constantly pulling on me and I pulled one out it was a mess, they had to stitch me up to. They removed the other drain bf I left. Like someone else said it was the best feeling to have them removed. Like you all after that our TP journey began. What we all have been thru.. whew

Take care everyone!!

March 10, 2024
  • GarciaChauTransplant Patient

A transplant doula???? I'm intrigued. How does that work? Are you on the donor side or recipient's?

After my heart transplant I had several drains. They went to this large "case" box that had to be emptied and analyzed. When we'd go for our daily ward stroll, it was cumbersome to move all the tubes around the stand up walker. The tubes came out once the drainage slowly came to a complete stop. I was instructed to "hum" as they pulled the tubes out. It was silly and cathartic at the same time. After that, I hummed for all other procedures just for fun and to make the experience more palatable. I felt like an octopus with arms going in different directions. It's been a year of reflection, and I still can't believe I survived the heart transplant journey.

March 12, 2024
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I had three or four drains (Liver Transplant) and they were all removed before I left the hospital (within a week). Two were removed earlier and the last one was removed the morning I left. I remember them filling up fast (in the beginning) and nurses having to change them constantly. The last one they pulled, I had to have a wound bag placed on the site where it was removed because there was still enough fluid coming out (small amount). I went home with a wound back and my mom had to change it once. Thinking back, I can still feel them removing the tube from my abdomen...feeling it move and the path it took to come out. It was a quick removal process but also weird at the same time.

March 13, 2024