General β€” TransplantLyfe

General

Exercising

Ldybug97Transplant Patient
March 7, 2024 in General

Priorto my Transplant, I could not walk. I was able to utilize the walker two weeks after Transplant. I wasn’t allowed to go to physical therapy outpatient until September, which was five months after Transplant. I am now starting to walk with the support of a cane and sometimes I don’t need it. What are ways that exercise to keep yourself healthy.?

Tagged:

1 - 13 of 13 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Yay! So proud of you for how far you’ve come! I remember fondly my first walk with my walker (which was down the street to a coffee shop across from the hospital)

Walking was and still is most of what I do. I got into hiking last summer, and started training for a 5k. I love yoga, Pilates, dance… I tend to just see what kind of movement my body gravitates towards or is curious about and then lean into that

March 8, 2024
  • Ldybug97Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 Thank you, I love to dance so I might try that. Once I become more flexible, maybe I can try yoga. Hopefully weather will change soon and I can go for walks. That’s really awesome that you train for a 5K how did it go?

March 8, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Awesome LaVise! So proud of you. Any kind of progress is amazing.

I walk 3 miles a day. But I definitely did not do that right away. I worked up to it. I also love Yoga. My favorite is restorative yoga. It's very relaxing and mostly stretching. You could even try chair Yoga to start. Its the gentlest form of yoga. I use an app called Down Dog. You can pick between different types of yoga. Whenever you are ready to try it out.

March 9, 2024

Thank you @Jeanmarie great job doing the 3 miles. I hope I can get to that point once they release me from physical therapy. Thank you for the suggestion to do chair yoga. I think that would really help especially on the days that I don’t do physical therapy. I will definitely try it out.

March 9, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi everyone, sounds like we all r trying to meet our exercise goals “YAY” I am 3yrs. 6 months and I am back to walking between 4.5 5.5 miles about 5-6xweek I have had to start over due to back back surgeries but I was determined. I also do bands for upper body exercises. Decided against joining a gym, still want to try yoga.🧘

Good Luck everyone. Ready for springπŸŒ»πŸŒˆπŸ˜ŽπŸŒžβ˜€οΈ

March 9, 2024

@Melsamm Congrats to getting back to walking. Determination is the key

March 9, 2024

Thank you lady🐞, I have enjoyed all of your inspirational quotes, I think it just makes you think how great each day is. So blessed.

March 10, 2024

@Melsamm thank you. I appreciate that. It made good days greater and the difficult days better for me. Blessings to you.

March 10, 2024
  • Augusto885Transplant Patient

It’s great that you’re walking again. I hope your recovery continues to go well. I am seven months after my liv transplant and I have recently decided to train for a 5k this summer. I went from walking like 2 miles a day to now nearly 5 miles a day plus basketball, swimming, meditation, stretching, and then the aerobics classes. Walking is the best thing that I’ve found helps me; keep on walking and your body and mind with thank you.

March 10, 2024

@Augusto885 that is amazing! you are such an inspiration. I wish you good luck in your training and let us know how you do.

March 10, 2024

Augusto885 Thank you, I hope you continue to do well also. 7 months LTP keep it upπŸ˜ŠπŸ’š

March 10, 2024
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Hi, Lavise! Slow, intuitive movement is so healing. Aligning movement with breath. Yin Yoga, Restorative Yoga, Beginner Pilates, Cycling, Dancing. Do you use Youtube? You could always look up classes in these areas. That's what I love to do at home sometimes. You are doing amazing <3

March 10, 2024

@fern22Thank you @fern22 you are absolutely correct. I didn’t walk seven months prior to Transplant. I just knew when I woke up I was gonna walk. I must keep reminding myself that I have to be patient with myself. Three days at physical therapy. So I try to do some of the exercises they show me. I think I’m going to take your suggestion about the YouTube just to give myself a variety of exercises at home, and physical therapy exercises. Thank you for the encouragement. I hope you’re doing very well.

March 10, 2024