Kidney/Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Kidney/Pancreas

Pity party

TServoldTransplant Patient
March 14, 2024 in Kidney/Pancreas

Overall, I consider myself to be a healthy individual. Yes, I know on paper I’m not; but overall I feel like a healthy person. The last month or so my household has been fighting a common cold. I have a 9 year old son so I expect that germs will just migrate into our home and we try to keep exposure to a minimum. So far in my transplant journey this has gone well. Minor cold, I had strep throat and a double ear infection a year ago and easily recovered from it. This last month though has been so challenging. I think it’s just my perception right now but I am over it. My son had a sniffle. Then my husband. Then I did. Now, I have pink eye, a sore throat and a runny nose again. I’m feeling defeated right now. I know this will pass. I have appropriate meds to clear up the infection I’m just frustrated and feeling sorry for myself. Which I also do NOT like. How do you manage times like this when you are feeling sick and defeated but life must go on?

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Oh no! Being sick is the worst. Sometimes I think viruses are worse than all the things we have to go through. I always make some fun plans for when I start to feel better. I also try to sleep as much as I can and have plenty of fluids. I hope you start to feel better soon!

March 14, 2024
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Thanks!! Great idea my parents are coming to visit for Easter so I hope that my house can all be healthy by then and we can plan to enjoy some family time.

March 14, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

What I do might be contrary to popular belief, but I actually have a party. I go big. If I’m sick and in bed, you can bet I’m in bed in my nicest pj’s on my boujiest sheets. I’m eating the treats and listening to my favourite music. I’m playing it up. I’m taking baths in the middle of the day and my husband is bringing me home treats.

i realize I can’t live in pity forever, so I don’t do this for days on end. Also knowing that this too will pass. But I 100% lean into it

March 15, 2024
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

This is probably exactly what we should all be doing! Relaxing and getting better. I am not good at that, never have been.

March 15, 2024