Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Liver High Enzymes

Alexc1972Transplant Patient
March 19, 2024 in Liver

Did anybody after 1year liver transplant have experienced high ALT levels? I had my Liver transplant back in November 2022. My lab results have been good since and now are showing high ALT levels. I haven't done anything different, the only thing I can remember was taking antibiotics for a UTI for 7 days. The transplant team is waiting for the Prograf/Tracolimus results, but I am concerned for rejection.

Tagged:

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

My liver enzymes have fluctuated (I'm going on 4 years). We've discovered my liver enzymes can be impacted by a whole bunch of things, like antibiotics or hormones or if I'm stressed... Instead of looking at isolated incidents, we've started to look at trends. if they're 'too high' I'll repeat labs in a week and go from there. If they're really concerned they've also done ultrasounds or MRI's, or had me go in just to get vitals and extra labs on me and have that extra set of eyes. I have had cholangitis, which affected my liver enzymes and I needed a stent placed, and infections of any kind tend to do that as well but they've all kind of resolved themselves with time and monitoring. It's never been rejection for me, but I feel assured knowing my team is doing everything when something is abnormal to keep me safe and healthy.

It can be really nerve wracking when something seems so abnormal. I totally get where you're coming from, and it's hard not to worry. I'm sending all the love and support your way. Keep us updated as you are comfortable!

March 19, 2024
  • ShakeyjakeTransplant Patient

As I'm sure you have studied any problem that can cause problem or rejections of your liver, I think we all have. The labs will show signs earlier than most but look for the other thing also. heres a little list I found..

What are the signs of rejection?

• Fever greater than 100° F.
    • Jaundice - yellowing of the skin and eyes.
    • Dark urine.
    • Itching.
    • Abdominal swelling or tenderness.
    • Fatigue.
    • Irritability.
    • Headache.

Also don't worry so much, that you mentally get yourself ill because of over thinking. You'll find out in a couple of days what the labs show, At least the VA at pittsburg are fast on reading them.

March 21, 2024
  • Alexc1972Transplant Patient

I got my Tracolimus result and is under the normal level. The doctor asked me to do another lab test in two weeks to see if the enzymes went down. He said that sometimes antibiotics can cause the liver enzymes to elevate.

Hopefully is just that. The fear is always present and is so stressful.

March 22, 2024
  • ShakeyjakeTransplant Patient

I hope so, best wishs to you

March 22, 2024
  • KevRTransplant Patient

Best wishes from me too, @Alexc1972.

March 25, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Alexa1872 I know this is not uncommon for this to happen these medications are so up and down and that’s why we get labs so much, so hopefully when you repeat labs it all will be back to normal. It definitely is a journey 💚😊

March 25, 2024
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I just had the same issue last October to December. I was sick (cold & Covid) and my lab numbers (ALT) kept going up. Once I was through my sickness, my numbers didn't get better and the extra medication was not helping. My transplant team decided it would be best to get a biopsy of my liver to see what was going on. Found out I needed to change my diet and what I was eating. Since then, I have completely cut out all seed oils, soda, and have been limiting sugar. My monthly labs have come down since then are now getting in the correct level.

I know everyone's journey is different, but my suggestion is to work with your team to get an answer. If you have any more questions, I would be more than happy to answer them. :)

Best wishes!

March 26, 2024