Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Help.

Yessie123Transplant Patient
March 20, 2024 in Kidney

Hi, I’m on dialysis and have been for fourteen years. I have had two kidney transplants in the past. Anyway, for the last few days I have been noticing I wake up with a very puffy face and my left hand where my fistula is, also gets very puffy/swollen. I was diagnosed with pancreatitis in Jan of this year. I had severe pancreatitis and was in the ICU for two months. I started this new medication Creon for pancreatic enzymes. At first, I thought the puffiness and swelling was caused by this medication but my coordinator says its mostly not it. I lost a lot of weight and my dry weight now is 37.5 kg. I really doubt I’m less than that as I am terribly skinny. I don’t really know what else could be causing this. It has never happened before. It’s very strange because I didn’t even drink much yesterday, however woke up with a swollen hand & puffy face. I’m on 5 mg prednisone which I been for 7 years now and has never caused this. I don’t consume a lot of sodium either… What could be causing this? it’s very uncomfortable to wake up with a swollen hand & face. Please, help.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I don’t have any insight, but I do want to let you know I see you. It’s overwhelming, and scary to not know what’s happening. Your fears and concerns are valid, and I’m so glad you felt safe enough to share them here.

my (maybe obvious) suggestion would be to check with your medical team. Do they have any ideas?

March 20, 2024
  • Yessie123Transplant Patient

Thank you so much for replying. I will speak to the team today and let dialysis staff know too, because it seems like it’s a fluid issue. The weird part is that I wake up swollen (face, eyes, and left hand) but it goes down throughout the day.

March 21, 2024