Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Belatacept

piannacconeTransplant Patient
March 23, 2024 in Kidney

Has anyone converted to infusions with this anti-rejection, med? I am interested and have done some research, but would like to hear some real world experience. 3+ years post kidney transplant. I’m also a pretty easy stick and I feel that either I or my wife can do it at home. Any input on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks everyone.

Tagged:

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• swigganTransplant Patient

Hello, yes, I have been getting Balatecept infusion for 4 years. I had some problems early when I started just finding a outpatient facility in NYC that has the capabilities to obtain the medication. I did some research on my own and found Mount Sinai at Union Square in Manhattan. I had Rosanna set it up for me; I had no problems since. It is only for 30 minutes, I receive it once a month. My bloodwork is quarterly because the results have been positive so far. My best advice is to be your own advocate for improvement along with the medication, you will experience some side effects at first, heartburn was one of the side effects I experienced.

March 23, 2024
  • piannacconeTransplant Patient

Much appreciated. P.

March 23, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I've been on Belatacept for about 4 years now. I used to be on a monthly infusion schedule but now I am every other month. It's been great. I am 18 years post-transplant. I was nervous about switching because I was on the other medications for so long. I have a home nurse that comes to my house. It's super easy and quick. The only issue I had at first was the nursing company. They had staffing issues that made me very nervous. So I had to be really on top of all the scheduling and delivery of medication etc. Other than that it's really great!

March 23, 2024
  • piannacconeTransplant Patient

Thank you so much.

March 23, 2024
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am so intrigued by this discussion as I would love to try it too!

March 25, 2024
  • Bagman12256Transplant Patient

Interesting. I have been looking for options to Cellcept and Sirolimus after 20 years on them. Skin cancer side effect has been a challenge. Do you need to take any other supression meds with it? Thanks!

March 25, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I still need to take a super low dose of tacro and a couple of others. I am 18 years post-transplant. I've had a few complications through the years. So I might still need all that because of those issues.

March 28, 2024
  • Bagman12256Transplant Patient

Thanks, I'll discuss with my doctor during next visit.

March 28, 2024