General — TransplantLyfe

General

Tacrolimus side effects

DebTransplant Patient
March 27, 2024 in General

Has anyone else experienced joint pain from taking Tacrolimus?? My knees and ankles have been hurting so bad. I have tried to increase my steps and get outside more but the pain is pretty rough and slowing me down. I can’t take anything to help. I do use Biofreeze at night. Any other advice?

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• Footjoy_1988Transplant Patient

I’m not sure on the side effects but watch your joints. Knees/hips I’ve had my kidney 37 years and medrol destroyed my knee joints. I just had a full knee replacement at 53 years old.

March 27, 2024
  • MaryRTransplant Patient

Yes I was transplanted almost 9 yrs ago. In the last 2 yrs I have aches & pains everywhere--today my back, maybe tomorrow my legs...never know. I suspect it's transplant drug(s) related or maybe because I'll be 76 this year. Maybe some of both.

March 28, 2024
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi,

are you on steroids since they def can cause joint issues!

i had a hip replacement last year but not due to tac - more due to my intense tennis and skiing background… and some anatomical issues w narrow acetabulum.

March 28, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

@Karin I am not on steroids right now. I was about 7 or 8 months ago but I didn’t notice any problems then. I actually felt great!!! I’m sorry you’ve had s hip replacement and hope you’re doing well. I’ve always had knee problems, I was really into sports for years but the ankles is all new pain and the hips also. I’ve been trying to stretch more and walk more but that just doesn’t seem to help the joint pain. Will bring it up at my next visit.

@MaryR I will be 64 and I guess that can be part of the problem. I forget my age sometimes. Lol

March 28, 2024
  • MaryRTransplant Patient

Yes 5 mg prednisone. I was told I'll be on it for life. I developed Crohn's disease at age 23 so I got the double whammy. 🤪

March 28, 2024