General ā€” TransplantLyfe

General

Skin cancer

DebTransplant Patient
May 28, 2024 in General

Has anyone noticed any increase in dark spots or been diagnosed with skin cancer since transplant? I’m noticing some dark spots on my face and neck. My tplant team tells me to see my dermatologist but I just haven’t yet. I’ve taken care of everything else yearly but that. I don’t know why I fear it so badly. Any suggestions on getting over this crazy fear of mine??

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• Footjoy_1988Transplant Patient

Hello Deb, I would always get checked out by a Derm. That said I’ve had hundreds of AKs plenty of Basel cells and probably 50-75 Squamous cells removed. You can always tell a squamous it will burn to the touch. I’ve been told your genetics and meds will contribute to your skin issues. I’m 37 years out and just consider it part of my life after transplant. You should get checked out!

May 28, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hey Deb, This will probably be one of the easiest appointments that a TP patient has.. I go yearly I have had 2 biopsies with no pain. I am more terrified of a liver biopsy-colonoscopy. lol You just have to do it catch everything early do not wait.. I am now a big Believer šŸ’Æ in prevention.

May 28, 2024
  • MHobdayTransplant Patient

I go to Derm every three months. In 2015 I was diagnosed with Merkel Cell Carcinoma, a very rare cancer, and was linked to my many years in the sun AND immune suppression drugs. So the bottom line is go to the Dermatologist SOON and let them set the schedule for your continued care. If you see something, say something! Don’t wait! I hate to sound like an alarmist, but skin cancers of any type need to be dealt with.

May 29, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I've definitely noticed more spots since transplant, but that might also be because I'm getting older! I've had them checked by a doctor and so far no skin cancer. But I echo what everyone has said above - if you're worried about something it's best to get it looked at. Even if its nothing, as transplant recipients we do have to be on high alert and its better to be safe than sorry

May 29, 2024

Absolutely my friends, Please do not wait, LISTEN to your body/gut. šŸ˜ŠšŸŒ¼

May 29, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

Thanks for the encouragement!! I think my biggest fear is getting naked in front of a doctor, interns and nurses. You would think after all I’ve been through it wouldn’t matter but it does bother me. I’m calling this week. Thanks again.

May 29, 2024

šŸ‘šŸ‘

May 29, 2024