General β€” TransplantLyfe

General

Hobbies

Ldybug97Transplant Patient
May 30, 2024 in General

Did you start any hobbies while in recovery? Were there any hobbies that you did prior to Transplant that you continued?

Tagged:

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• DebTransplant Patient

I didn’t have many hobbies besides working in my yard before I got sick. I worked full time as a teachers aid for special needs students so I was exhausted when I got finished with work and taking care of the home chores. But when I had to leave work on disability my husband and I began some wood crafts. We make holiday decorations and outdoor tables and we love it. He always been creative but being in his wheel chair he has limitations but with my help we really can make some fun things to give as gifts and to sell. I paint and decorate them and cuts and assembles. I’m wanting to learn to sew or crochet maybe in the colder months this year. He is still a volunteer firefighter, of course not active but there’s more to it than fighting fires and I’m in the ladies auxiliary so we enjoy that as well.

ldybug97 you come up with the best questions.

May 30, 2024
  • Ldybug97Transplant Patient

@Deb Thank you, I try to ask a variety of questions. I love to engage on the forearm with everyone. We actually have something in common. I was a special education teacher for 15 years. I retired on disability six years ago. I’m turning 45 in a month and I’m like I cannot believe I’ve been retired so long.

Your hobbies wonderful. I actually craft with my CRICUT machine. When I retired, I decided to go back to school to finish my psychology degree. I have about four more classes and I will be returning In September, my husband was a veteran so I get my schooling paid for. The new plan is to write a book about my journey from Dialysis to Transplant. We will see how that goes in between the volunteer work. I do my Transplant center and the NJ Sharing Network. It’s great that your husband can still be active with the fire department. sometimes the craft store Michael’s have crochet classes. You might want to look into it or there’s another one called Joann’s

May 30, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

@Ldybug97 We have both of those stores here. I will check. My grandmother tried to teach me but I was more interested on what was going on outside on the farm. I was a major tomboy and loved my animals. Haha.

Thats cool we share a common thread of special Ed. It was the most rewarding job I’ve ever had. I still try to keep in touch with a few of my students. Many were there for me during my wurst days sending cards and letters.

May 30, 2024
  • Ldybug97Transplant Patient

@Deb a very rewarding job. I miss teaching and the kids, but I don’t miss the paperwork. Student that I saw when I was diagnosed with kidney failure in the ninth grade now. I remember returning back to work after I went on dialysis. My legs have been really, really, really swollen, and when the students saw me, they were like you have legs. I’m still connected with my friends so I get to hear about my students all the time and I often see the parents in different settings. It’s very nice to have a common bond besides transplantation.

May 30, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I genuinely don't think I had any hobbies prior to transplant! I know I must have, because that was 20+ years of my life, but the only thing I remember was being so exhausted. I would work, come home and sleep until I had to get up and take meds. (also a fun note is I also worked in special ed, in early childhood education). I got really sick and went on medical leave during Covid, and then nobody was doing anything anyway.

So most of my hobbies are post transplant ones. I started hiking last year, which I really enjoy, and I love being outside. I'm also really into nervous system regulation so I actually enjoy things like cold plunges and somatic movement practices. And I've always enjoyed writing, and making things with my hands. I recently tried to teach myself how to crochet, and I love making collages and scrapbook pages

May 31, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Mine are planting flowers, watching them grow I am a total yard bird working in my yard gives me great pleasure , I love just being outside taking rides in the countryside , sitting visiting with friends family bbq. Most of all taking my rescue pup for walks. πŸŒΌπŸŒΈβ˜€οΈπŸ˜Ž

I am living life !!

May 31, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Hiking and photography have been the 2 things I have always been very passionate about before and after transplant. I love being outside.

I really ramped up my photography after my first rejection episode and I was stuck in the hospital for months. I wanted to save all the beautiful memories so I could look at them and help me stay positive while in the hospital.

June 1, 2024