General — TransplantLyfe

General

How has social media helped you on your journey before and after transplant

Ldybug97Transplant Patient
Updated June 3, 2024 in General

I avoided listening to anything regarding transplant unless it was from my medical teams. I regret not being part of a conversation in the transplant communities such as Transplantlyfe. I feel understood and not sympathy and empathy towards my situation. Social media has been very positive in this aspect.

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

pre-transplant I wasn’t involved in anything. I didn’t search out transplant communities or other transplant recipients on social media. And I feel like that was a good choice for me. I stand by that decision, and I’m glad I didn’t plug in to any communities. It felt like self preservation for me.

immediately post transplant I started scrolling social media to find my people. I’ve shared this before but I was the person sliding into DM’s of other transplant recipients at 3am. Transplantlyfe officially launched a few months post transplant, and I got connected here fairly early on. I can see the pros and cons of being so connected. It’s brutal sometimes, especially when you lose friends. I’m the kind of person who gets really easily overwhelmed by information so it can be hard being so woven into transplant in all areas of my life. But I also wouldn’t trade the people I’ve met here for anything.

June 4, 2024
  • Ldybug97Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 So happy …. You are one of My People

June 4, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

I didn’t do social media very much before my transplant adventure began. I really wish I had known about Transplantlyfe during those nights when I couldn’t sleep or when I headed blindly into testing or procedures m. I would do all the research I could and my team gave me any materials i ask for but I’ve got you all now and I love it. I often share your stories with others and I refer to you all as my friends!! 💚💚

June 6, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Deb…❤️💚 u r so kind and encouraging to all on TPLyfe.

June 6, 2024
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I went to social media before my transplant, however, it was never for transplant until transplant started to feel real and tangible; really until I got the news that I had a friend donating on my behalf and it kickstarted the kidney exchange program for me. I was on social media, connecting with others on dialysis and through that had seen many share their experiences of transplant but I often reminded myself that my experience is just that; my experience. So it wasn't until after transplant, I started to lean into the transplant community more. Nonetheless, social media has been one of my biggest resources for all aspects of my journey and it is where I have found the most community. Many of which I have now met in person.

June 14, 2024