General — TransplantLyfe

General

How do you normally handle a common cold?

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated March 4, 2021 in General

I woke up w a plain stupid regular cold and as a transplant patient I am supposed to be more careful but for the past few years I have 1) had less colds than my family in general 2) handled them better BUT in the first few years post transplant I was hospitalized a few times due to URI, GI infections and even blisters in my mouth... perhaps our immune systems get used to the immune suppression over time and can handle common bugs??? How do you handle colds? A) Rest B) seek care or C) simply take Tylenol and continue w work??

1 - 13 of 13 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I have yet to get a common cold. I'm still in my first year post transplant and it seems everything I've gotten has been serious! If I was a little further out and slightly more stable, I think I would handle things differently. But as per my coordinator's instructions, I would just lay low, take tylenol, drink plenty of fluids and watch and wait. If I ended up with a high fever, symptoms that lasted longer than expected or began throwing up to the point where I could no longer keep down my anti-rejection meds, I would seek treatment.

March 4, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I do a mixture of rest, Tylenol and essential oils. Only if I can’t take my transplant medication for any reason or can’t break a fever do I get my team involved.

March 5, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Agree w both - today is first morning I feel a little better!

March 7, 2021

@Karin I’m glad your feeling better.

March 8, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda what oils do you use? I’m an oil user too and so far haven’t found anything that counteracts with my transplant treatment but I’m always curious about other peoples experiences

March 8, 2021

@AliEm14 Oh I love my oils! I have yet to find any oils that counteracts with my medication either. I love a good lavender, peppermint and lemon combination.

March 8, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda I use oils a lot to help with my anxiety. Young Living’s valor and peace and calming are among my faves

March 9, 2021

@AliEm14 Oh I love Young Living! They have some of the best oils.

March 9, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I have never used oils - just vitamin c, lots of tea w honey and sleep!

March 9, 2021
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I have just started using oils just in a diffuser and have found some I really love! I currently get mine from Revive and they are a very good price. I have fallen in love with one called Lemonade Stand. Oh and I found one that smells like you have walked right into Hobby Lobby. I haven't had a cold since transplant so I can't say they have helped with that, but they have helped boost my mood during this past winter.

March 10, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@bhameister i’ve heard interesting things about revive. So far I’ve mostly done diffuser and topical application of my oils. I’ve also ingested the young living thieves and have had no negative results. When I started I introduced everything slowly and did labs between introducing every new oil

March 10, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I take that back - use oils daily if diffusers count! I thought you meant oils rubbing on temples etc.. I love my diffuser - smells sooo good and also lights up in the dark!.

March 10, 2021

@karin It sounds like we have the same diffuser! Haha. I love the calming smell of lavender as I go to sleep.

March 10, 2021