General — TransplantLyfe

General

Gut Microbiome

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
July 24, 2024 in General

I recently read a fascinating article on the gut microbiome and its contributions to the longevity of solid organ transplants.

I’m curious what you all do to help promote a healthy gut microbiome, or if you’ve even thought of this before? It’s definitely something I’m going to be more aware of now!

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20240709/Gut-microbiome-health-crucial-to-survival-after-solid-organ-transplants.aspx?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1_ThBXLNgdb4L9K7ZpWr3Rj0wOz6elWTtOSY8-Psv0ra1A2f1kanQI6eA_aem_HH_eoZzLRhnwGeUfKsffCQ

Tagged:

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• dlatchisonTransplant Patient

Wow, thanks for sharing this! I hadn't actually considered this connection re: organ transplants. I feel like I hear about the relationship most often in regards to brain health / preventing cognitive decline. Very cool!

July 24, 2024
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Okay… LOVE THIS. I’ve been trying to research this on a deeper level and determine how to get the healthy gut bacteria and microbiome back. I do take a digestive enzyme but I’d be interested to see more research on this and what they find can improve the gut microbiome. I highly suggest listening to the podcast ‘Body of Wonder’ - i get a lot of great info from there to then research further!

July 25, 2024
  • NadgeoTransplant Patient

I wonder if they looked at the drugs we take and their interaction with our gut biome. I find my stomach goes off like a bomb every 3 days no matter what I do. I stopped all the Septra anti-biotic, I don't eat any seed oils and eat all real food as much as possible so I am really only on Sirolimus and the prograf for the anti-rejection but it seems like a build up of bad bacteria then I get a strange burp then the stomach goes wild for 8 hours like clockwork. Tried probiotics, yogurt, kefir etc. and nothing helps. Has anyone found a solution that has worked for them???

July 28, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

This may be the answer to a problem I have. As soon as eat, anything no matter how small amount it is, I have to go. My husband laughs at me but what gets me is I don’t lose any weight!!! You’d think if I got rid of everything that fast I would. I did have an infection in my stomach right after surgery and took antibiotics for it but nothing since. I’m going to read more on this.

July 28, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Nadgeo thats another really great point. The drugs we take have to have an effect on our GI system. Especially when you look at the fact that literally every post transplant drug has GI stuff listed as a possible side effect.

i wonder if they did/are doing any studies on this in particular. It’s great to say do all these things to help promote gut health but I find that can end up in another situation where we as patients are taking on too much responsibility for something we actually can’t help.

July 29, 2024
  • NadgeoTransplant Patient

So all this talk about the build up of bad bacteria in our micro biome got me into my obsessive mode once again and I came up with this 8 days ago but it has been a game changer so far. So apple cider vinegar in with the mother has a ton of probiotic properties and also increases the acidity of the stomach. I had tried it earlier but always in water and I found it too difficult to take so never really gave it a try. So last week I made an effort and now put in with my protein shake in the AM first thing and PM before bed. The difference this last week has been astounding and not one night have I spent in restless turmoil with an upset stomach that is purging itself. This is my shake so try it yourself and see if it helps any of you. So 1 cup orange juice, with 1 Scoop Whey Protein, 1 Tbls Metamucil, 1 Tbls Coconut OIl (C8 and C10) from Costco, 1 Tbls Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 Scoops of Collagen but the only 2 additions are the ACV and the Metamucil. I also take a daily probiotic, eat 1 or 2 yogurts a day but I always did this and always had issues and never a solid stool. Like I said for me it has been night and day and a real game changer. I don't eat any seed or canola oils as much as possible (very hard to do these days). I try to minimize any processed foods in my diet and eat a lot of red meat, chicken and whole eggs. Do not believe anything they tell you about not eating saturated fats. Whole fats are good for you full stop. The food guide is upside down turn it the other way and that is how you should eat. Anyhow off topic but I have been into nutrition at an extremely high athletic level for 40 years and most Doctors have it all wrong.

Again I am a double lung, heart and new kidney survivor and my blood work is always bang on eating this way. Wish you all the best! Hope this helps somebody as it has helped me.

August 6, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Nadgeo I'm glad you found something thats worked for you! It can be so difficult to figure these things out, especially taking into account that every body is different and while doctors are incredibly knowledgeable in some areas I also don't think there's a doctor alive who knows everything about all the things.

I know for me personally a lot of "healthy eating philosophies" or even things you described just don't work for me. My body is unique and what people can say is how you "should" be eating or what healthy eating really means would send me straight to the hospital.

Nutrition in and of itself is such a loaded topic, and there are so many ways of doing things and I think at the end of the day its so important that we find what works for our individual bodies. It sounds like you found something that has helped you thrive and I'm so happy for you. Congratulations on your amazing successes in life after transplant!

August 7, 2024