Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Post-transplant athletes?

michelleTransplant Patient
Updated May 28, 2021 in Liver

Hi there. I’m 10 months post liver transplant and have a question for anyone who might(??) have experience training for a marathon after transplant surgery.

While there have been some bumps with my recovery, I was able to resume my running routine 2 1/2 months after transplant and have been running consistently since.

Anyway, after a particularly strong run, I decided that I was finally ready and went ahead and registered for a marathon in the fall.

I’ve run a number of marathons in my life (the most recent being just 2 years ago), so I know what to expect from the distance, but don’t know what to expect when training my post-transplant body. Are there any weekend warriors on this board who have experience with training post-transplant and can offer insight?

Tagged:

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

First of all, damn!!! I’m 7 months out and feel no where near ready to run a marathon. I’ve been focusing on strength and stabilizing exercises. I was a yogi before so practicing yoga, squats, walking, that sort of thing.

it’s not really helpful advice but I’m so insanely proud of you for feeling ready to get back out there and sending you all the love and support

March 9, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I have not attempted a marathon. I do know there is something every 2 years called "The Transplant Games". Within that competition there is a 5K. That might be something to check out. I did train and condition when I was 8 years post transplant to hike Mount Saint Helens. I did not notice anything too different from my friends that were training also. I was probably more prepared because I am more conscientious about drinking water and resting when needed.

I know this probably doesn't help too much. But hope it helped a little.

March 26, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Fabulous post! I have been an athlete all my life but pre transplant I was quite weak for years so I had a lot of recovery to do post. I am nowhere where I was as a healthy young athlete but I guess few people are in their forties??!! I think my biggest issues have not been the transplants but the autonomic dysfunction I still stifle with from my t1d, which makes me light headed and even causes some angina if I push hard enough! Go for it! No reason not to :-)

March 27, 2021
  • michelleTransplant Patient

Thanks all. (I am in fact in my 40s.) I have not started my training cycle yet, but I am doing weekend long runs that are close to 10 m in preparation for the training cycle which will start in June.

Some of the training questions I have are around whether I may need to adjust fueling strategies during long runs, whether there is a need to add in more rest days during the week, any dietary adjustments. Things like that.

Subsequently, I did look into the Transplant Games, but that seems to be a charity event focused around a 5k. It sounds like a great cause, but doesn’t seem to have any online forum for post-transplant athletes to connect to discuss training issues that are unique to training for longer distances like a marathon.

March 28, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

What a great idea to creat here! A forum for athletes to discuss specific issues pertaining to post transplant training.

March 29, 2021