General — TransplantLyfe

General

Alopecia

Ldybug97Transplant Patient
Updated August 10, 2024 in General

Has any one noticed hair thinning / alopecia from immmuno suppressant.

Growing up I always had a full head of thick hair. My hair started to thin when I was really sick while on dialysis. After a month of transplant, my hair begins to grow but now I’m starting to see significant hair loss.

1 - 11 of 11 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

There's a few discussions if you search the forums on hair loss/alopecia. I have decent hair now, but had massive bald spots for a good while post transplant and did wigs, extensions...

I know people have tried lots of different things. For me what really helped in the beginning was actually switching to no 'poo and not using heat or styling anything on my hair. I still try not to use heat regularly, and wash my hair maybe once a week

August 12, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

My hair got really thin before tplant and even thinner right afterwards but then it got really thick on top but my sides are still pretty thin. I have one spot above my right ear that’s slick and bare. Perfect round circle bald spot. My hairdresser knows how to cut it so it doesn’t show. I keep my hair pretty short now. I never thought about my current meds I thought it was all the meds, anesthesia and procedures I had prior to tplant.

August 12, 2024
  • Ldybug97Transplant Patient

Thank you

August 13, 2024
  • Alexc1972Transplant Patient

I also lost most of my hair after my liver transplant.

It got worse around 6 months after the transplant, so I took a mix of Collagen/Q10/Biotin vitamins and sprayed a super strong biotin/collagen mix on my scalp every day.

After 3 months of use, my hair has grown back and is even better than before the transplant.

August 14, 2024

@Alexc1972 thank you for the information. I’m actually on my way to the nephrologist to see if they will allow me to take it and I will let her know about the information you provided me

August 14, 2024
  • dlatchisonTransplant Patient

Oh interesting! Do you mind sharing what the topical biotin/collagen solution was?

August 14, 2024

I just left my doctors appointment. We discussed the hair loss. She told me that she wanted to check my thyroid levels. Once she sees the test results she will decide if I need B12 .

She also wanted me to see a dermatologist.

August 14, 2024

Hello,

I used these two products:

• Qunol Liquid CoQ10 100 mg
    • Zena Liquid Collagen Collagen Peptides + Biotin 5000mcg,Sugar & Gluten Free

It is fantastic. My hair has grown back healthier and way more than I had before.

September 16, 2024
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

When speaking to medical experts they say this is very common but transient - is that what you are all experiencing? That it comes back?

September 18, 2024

I used these two products:

• Qunol Liquid CoQ10 100 mg
    • Zena Liquid Collagen Collagen Peptides + Biotin 5000mcg,Sugar & Gluten Free

It is fantastic. My hair has grown back healthier and way more than I had before.

September 18, 2024

My doctor checked my thyroid and my thyroid isn’t the cause. I am learning to accept it. my journey on dialysis was very traumatic and caused a lot of hair loss . After my transplant surgery it was starting to grow back again. I have a lot of damage happen throughout the years and some things I have been told I will not improve in some areas which I am making adjustments and accommodations for. I wasn’t even expected to advance as much as I did so hair loss is just minimal. My medical team knows that things with me fluctuate so much so she really didn’t wanna add anything else unless absolutely necessary. I used to use chemicals on my hair so right now I’m just not adding anything to my hair to give it a break to see if that will make a difference.

September 18, 2024