General — TransplantLyfe

General

Hair dyeing

mrmdipTransplant Patient
August 14, 2024 in General

Hi does anyone know if people who are on dialysis or have transplants dye their hair different colors?

Just curious

1 - 5 of 5 Other Answers

• mrmdipTransplant Patient

Or if they can and is it safe?

August 14, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

If its a problem I would be in big trouble already

Obviously check with your team if you have issues about your specific situation, but I've dyed my hair very consistently both pre and post transplant with no issues. I'm pretty sure I've had every hair colour under the sun

August 14, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Me too.. just not every color under the sun. lol I think its ok.

August 14, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

I have my hair dyed every 3 months or so. So far my hair is healthy. I’m not ready to go gray just yet. Haha.

August 18, 2024
  • GarciaChauTransplant Patient

Hello @mrmdip,

For pandemic fun, I dyed my hair purple. I liked it so much, I kept it up. In the hospital pre-transplant, I was known as "the patient with the purple hair" by all the staff. It always helped break the ice. After my heart transplant, my hair was so brittle and thin. When I was finally ready to dye it again, one hairdresser refused to use bleach or dye my hair, worried it would hurt me. I believed her, until I realized that hair is "dead" or something like that, so I found another hairdresser. She was more concerned with my hair health and found a gentle product, this also allowed me to bring back the joy I felt with my purple highlights. My Transplant team has never commented or discouraged, and I didn't see any studies or literature on the negative impacts. Hope this helps. - By the way, my hair is almost back to normal since I got off prednisone.

August 26, 2024