General — TransplantLyfe

General

Covid re-emerging

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
August 21, 2024 in General

I am hearing from many parts of the country how covid is hitting harder and wider again - I have not used a mask in years - are you going back? Getting vaccinated??

Tagged:

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I never stopped masking, and will continue to do so. I think of it not only as preventing covid but preventing all disease. I don't have time to even have a cold. So masking in indoor public spaces, I'm constantly sanitizing my hands and cleaning things...

August 21, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

No to Covid vaccines, never had the first one, I have not had Covid, so blessed. I have never stopped wearing a mask😷 since 2020. Stay healthy winter/🏈 right around the corner.

August 22, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I usually only mask at clinic appointments and the airport. Or maybe the pharmacy. The constant need for a mask makes life a bit less enjoyable for me. I am a constant hand washer tough.

With that said, I am always up to getting vaccinated. I learned my lesson about 10 years ago when I decided not to get a flu vaccine and was in the hospital for 2 months fighting the flu. Transplant doctors explained to me if I had received the vaccine, I most likely wouldn't have had such a hard time fighting off the virus.

I definitely will be getting the flu and covid vaccine before traveling late next month, I try to wait as close to October as I can so it will last the whole season.

August 22, 2024
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I am traveling to Boston the week of September 9, and again a few weeks later. We are going to a Red Sox game on 9/11 and I'm sure it will be crowded. Luckily baseball games are outdoor. I always mask on planes, but mostly don't in everyday situations. I'm in office 4 days a week and I don't mask, I don't mask at the grocery store, and I was just in downtown Denver for the weekend. So far, I feel fine. I have a friend who was just in Boston for a week and caught COVID. I'm nervous for my upcoming trips to say the least. I think it's too early for the flu shot/COVID booster but maybe I'll call my transplant center and see if I can get it early.

August 23, 2024
  • Ldybug97Transplant Patient

I have been wearing a mask since 2020 so it has become a part of my daily accessories. I have to say that I’ve become more comfortable with wearing a mask. I have anxiety about being in a crowd and just getting anyone’s germs because I know how it can go really bad for me. My family, friends and medical team always ask me if I would feel more comfortable with them wearing a mask. I’m starting to feel my mask will always be needed. When people come visit me at my apartment I have a box of mask and hand sanitizers sitting at the door so they already know what the deal is.

August 23, 2024
  • KevRTransplant Patient

i hated wearing a mask during COVID but I did it. But when working, whenever I got a chance I would pull it down. I have trigeminal neuralgia n the med I take gives me horrible dry mouth. So the mask makes it worse. It certain situations though I still put one on. I got COVID 4 the 2nd x in March and I handled it well. About 4 days where I felt sick. But the head cold I just got was much tougher to deal with. And I’m sure I know where I got the cold. I went to a family wedding n didn’t wear a mask. I even commented on the head cold in an earlier post. Wearing a mask, social distancing n cleaning your hands give you your best chance. It’s not always enjoyable but this group here knows how lucky we are to be alive.

August 23, 2024
  • Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

This past summer I had to travel from Kentucky to New York for a clinicial trial for the last 3-4 weeks. I found out when I got back from NY after the trial that I did indeed get covid on one of my last trips there. I had some symptoms of fatigue diahrea cough and some vomiting. And I wore a mask everywhere except my hotel room.

I am being mindful of it and i too have heard some people are getting covid here in ky.

-Alex

August 25, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

I have such a hard time breathing with a mask on. I sneeze a lot and my eyes water. I do wear them but I’m never happy about it.

August 26, 2024
  • GarciaChauTransplant Patient

Ahhhh! COVID! Just caught it two weeks ago and still have lingering sinus issues. I was volunteering for my OPO at an outdoor event and I thought I'd be safe without a mask. I was so worried I'd voided my warranty on my "certified pre-owned heart."

Since transplant, (18 month ago) I mask up whenever I go out or am in crowds - grocery store, meetings, clinic, library, concerts etc. I have become so accustomed to my foggy glasses, runny nose, and the way the mask reacts when I am breathing or exercising. I don't even notice it or people staring. I use the K95. When I get nervous about my surroundings, I add a lighter mask underneath (airplanes). I figure I need to minimize exposure, but also live my adventure! Sanitizing, handwashing, and reapplying sunscreen has become my normal. I vaccinate when it's available.

A friend commented, that my Covid symptoms weren't as bad because I had been eating healthy, exercising, and was vaccinated. Stay healthy people! We need you here!

August 26, 2024