Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

26y old 1 y post transplant

RockyTransplant Patient
September 19, 2024 in Liver

Hi guys,

I am 26y old, I had received a liver transplant last year and recovered pretty good, I am an active person but I have a small problem with exercising. I can’t get more than 65 kg with an 1.85 height. I started working out with elastic bands and went swimming a few times but can’t figure the best diet and exercise to have the best performance but also don t force myself out, so the healthiest way.

thank you!!

wish you all the best

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Other Answers

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Welcome! I had my liver transplant at 23 and I think it’s an entirely different ball game being transplanted so young.

does your hospital have dieticians or physiotherapists you can talk to? My plan changed so many times in that first year, and really the first few years, and my physiotherapist was incredible at helping me find what worked for my body. I definitely learned low and slow is the name of the game.

i think so much is going to depend on your individual body. We all respond to things differently. Give yourself permission to try new things, and change it up.

i also recommend checking out the refit for life platform through the world transplant games. They offer a ton of nutrition and movement guidance, along with guided classes that are customizable to where you are post transplant. I’ve met some incredible athletes through them, and I’ve learned the most from other transplant recipients.

if you want to come ask questions live, too, @Jillbest is going to be guest speaking in our support group next week on her journey with fitness post transplant, and she’s an incredible athlete. You can find the support group sign up under the education tab, as well as the podcast episode we recorded with her on this very topic!

September 20, 2024
  • JillbestTransplant Patient

Hi! @AliEm14 great answer and discussion. I agree that starting slow is a good idea and especially if you’re trying a new sport or activity.

i always encourage transplant recipients to find something (sport or something active) you actually enjoy and look forward to doing.

What you liked and what worked for you before your transplant may or may not be what fits afterwards and that’s ok. Give yourself grace and patience finding what works for you and your body.

September 20, 2024