General — TransplantLyfe

General

Support

DebTransplant Patient
October 1, 2024 in General

Happy October!! I recently completed a survey for my liver doctor and his students and one question had me thinking and I thought I’d ask you guys who are post transplant. Do you feel you have as much support now as you did before your transplant? I honestly had to really think about it. I’m not sure I really do? How do you all feel??

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Oooh interesting question! I think immediately post transplant I had a lot of support - the first 6ish months. After that the novelty wore off for people, I guess. I’m 4 years out now, which on one hand means I do require less practical support, but it also makes me sad in some ways I have less support. Transplant life doesn’t just end, ever. It impacts every area of my life and how I see the world. I feel incredibly lucky my husband is very supportive (though I do concede he sees my daily reality in far more detail than most) but aside from that I do feel most support has vanished. On one hand to be expected, on the other why do we put expiration dates on caring about one another?

October 2, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Deb, I agree with AliEm the first 6 months are when I felt so taken care of. Once I transferred to the Hepatologist I didn’t feel like it was the same. I have recently had some issues and feel very supported but bf that I just felt if I needed them they would be there it’s a yes no feeling support . My coordinator is great, I use my patient portal a lot when I have concern's/ qx.

I am so glad that we have this site to support TP patients who do not have significant others , married or family friends close by to help them.

October 2, 2024