Heart — TransplantLyfe

Heart

Anybody Else?

Denise_RTransplant Patient
March 15, 2021 in Heart

Hi Friends!

I have my third annual transplant visit tomorrow and Wednesday. I have a right and left heart cath scheduled. Though I've had a bunch of them before, I also know I've had bad reactions to them in the past (anesthesia, pain meds, etc.), so I am dreading it. I'm doing all the right things in preparation for it and plan to have a thorough chat with the doc prior to the procedure, but am wondering if you guys have the same or similar experiences? Is there a procedure that is routine, but you kinda dread it nonetheless?

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• Denise_RTransplant Patient

I think this is my last one, unless they find something. I'll know more tomorrow. I know that if I didn't have a history of abnormal reactions to the procedure, I wouldn't be that concerned - I've had too many over the last several years. But with my history, I'm hopeful that we can avoid it this time, but not holding my breath. I have full faith in my team - they're great and never take undue risks, but if there's an abnormal reaction to something along this adventure, it's pretty certain this girl is going to have it...

March 16, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

My program also doesn’t use anesthesia for routine adult cath procedures. I have been fortunate to have minimal issues with my caths but I’m also many years post transplant so I only have one every 5 years. I hopeful it will get better for you over time. Sending love, hugs and positive vibes for a smooth cath.

March 16, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I had something similar with my liver arteries and it was awful. I wasn’t fully out but I was on some kind of sedative and I had the worst panic attack when I came out.

I’ve been working with my therapist and my support people to come up with a plan for next time. Play dough or sensory textures really calm me down, so I made some essential oils play dough for my hospital bag. Music and guided meditations as I’m coming to has helped me. And someone to hold my hand and help me breathe slowly. If your support person can’t be with you, my therapist wrote me a note to give to my medical team so the nurses are prepared and can assist me with my comfort things.

March 16, 2021
  • cuore1399Transplant Patient

Hi. I have been out 22 years and my doctor alternates between the Catherization and CT of the heart . My program does not give you anything but a Benadryl if you want it. I do not take anything at all. They also do the internal ultrasound of the arteries as well but I am just grateful they have the technology and I get a clean Bill of health.

April 12, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I had a kidney transplant so its a bit different... But super lame, I get so much anxiety with a 24 hour urine test. It stresses me out so much. Its not painful its just what if I forget to go in the jug and I have to start all over again. The other test is a biopsy. I have so much scar tissue from so many biopsies that its so painful. I have too much PTSD from doing so many the doctors have to send me to be put asleep for me to let them do a biopsy. It sounds silly but those are the 2 things that I do often that make me want to run! Everything else is cool, haha.

April 14, 2021