General — TransplantLyfe

General

Leaving your doctor

AnnMarieCare Partner
Updated May 29, 2021 in General

While I have not gone through a transplant I have a lot of health issues. I am curious if anyone ever fired their doctor? And why? This is something I personally have gone through and it was hard to do for many reasons.

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Of course! You should not settle for a dr who is not competent enough, does not care enough, or fights for you. I sometimes do approve of those who aren’t as nice if they are incredibly good medically, but I really should not - however, for me, competence and connections always are primary! Same goes for nurses - I have “dismissed” several who ask me questions that are just plain dumb - when you are vulnerable and scared, please don’t ask us questions that are not respectful or insightful

March 16, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

Thank you Jim! Yes I did not connect with my doctor. He was a little annoyed I asked so many questions. I have such a great team now!

March 17, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

I think many believe they have to stay with a doctor. You need a great doctor but you need to be comfortable as well. This is life long!

March 17, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

definitely. Within my transplant team there are a few doctors I don’t connect with or like at all. I have asked they be removed from my case and I be given a different doctor.

my favourite way to think of this is when Kris Carr said she was the CEO of heal my ass corporation. The primary goal is healing. She is in charge of hiring and firing. Everybody works for her. And if someone isn’t supporting her healing, they get cut. While doctors have a lot of knowledge, ultimately it’s our bodies, our lives and they work for us

March 18, 2021
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

@AnnMarie I definitely can relate to this! When I first became sick at 19, for years I tried going to so many GI docs who would either dismiss my symptoms as being "in my head," or try the same medications/tests the many others before had tried. It wasn't until I found a doctor at Hopkins who quickly realized I was out of his realm of expertise and referred me to a colleague he felt would be a better fit, that I not only found a team I trusted but also a team who started to finally provide answers and solutions!

I also switched hepatologists within Hopkins. I loved my actual hepatologist, but I would often see her NP who just wasn't as responsive as I would have liked her to be. When being passed on from the transplant team at my 1 year mark, I requested a switch (the transplant team completely supported me and used location as a reasoning so I didn't feel uncomfortable about leaving my original Doctor) and now i have a hepatologist who happened to be a resident during my transplant and has an excellent communication style.

I'm also looking to "break up" with my OBGYN, as she doesn't have much experience with transplant patients and I would like to already be established with one who does when/if the time comes I decide to have kids!

March 18, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

This makes me feel better that is for sure. Hate that you had to do this but better cause I know I am not alone

March 18, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner
    March 18, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Absolutely! I was diagnosed with Lupus at 16. It was pre-internet days. I would make appointments with doctors and "interview" them to see if they were up for the job. Many did not make it, haha. And over the years I have the largest rolodex of doctors: transplant, hematologist, GI, infectious disease, rheumatologists etc. Throughout the last 23 years I have fired a handful of doctors. There have been many reasons. The last one I fired I felt she was not listening to me. It seemed to be worse when everything was switched to Telemedicine. I got a referral from one of my doctors and found a new one that I like more. I think sometimes a doctor might not know how to help you. Not the fault of the doctor necessarily just experience. I did have a major issue with a doctor on my transplant team several years ago. I knew he was a talented doctor but his bedside manner was just awful. I actually discussed it with him as constructive criticism and he actually is now a way more tolerable doctor. You definitely need to be your own advocate. I also make it a best practice to never talk ill about the doctor I didn't like because they all seem to know each other, haha. So I just keep it simple and say I am looking for a second opinion.

March 23, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner