Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

6 months post transplant

Jazmin77Transplant Patient
March 16, 2021 in Kidney

Hi everybody,

Im fairly new to this, I'm a type 1 diabetic and I had a kidney transplant 6 months ago after 4.5 years on peritoneal dialysis. since the transplant I have found myself full of energy and motivated to help others and raise awareness for CKD to inspire people to get their kidneys checked regularly as kidney failure came as a shock to me, one day I was a regular happy 24 year old and the next I was told I had 12% kidney function. does anybody have any tips or ideas on how I could go about spreading awareness or helping patients currently going through this? im just not sure where to start.

thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Welcome to TransplantLyfe! I went through a kidney transplant 12 years ago so I know the feeling! I never had to do dialysis / so I can’t fully imagine the process you just be going through but I was also down to 10 % kidneys function pre transplant and very weak! I am thriving now, working full time and was able to conceive a child 3 years ago - my biggest joy! Good luck to you and take it one step at a time, don’t overdo it in the beginning :-)

March 17, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

I may not be in the transplant world but I do a lot of advocacy. I would start right here and share your story! Using your voice to help others is amazing and honestly it helps you too! Message me if you need anything.

March 17, 2021
  • Jazmin77Transplant Patient

thank you =)

March 17, 2021
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

I agree with @AnnMarie and sharing your story here is a great first step! I also became a Donate Life ambassador through my local OPO, depending where you live that may be an option as well! Ultimately I've found just sharing your story on different platforms reaches and impacts people, even if you don't realize it!

March 17, 2021
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I agree with @AnnMarie and @meghansmith. Share your story on different platforms. I also found a few non-profit organizations in my state to connect with and even told my story at a webinar. You could also look into your hospitals transplant program to see if they have any opportunities to share your story. Hopefully once Covid is more under control, we will be able to share our story's with others in person.

March 18, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Sharing my story on transplantlyfe has been huge for me. I also share a ton on social media, which has helped me get in contact with other advocates and groups. You could also check and see if your local hospital or transplant centre has an advocacy program.

congrats on the new kidney!

March 18, 2021