General — TransplantLyfe

General

Vacation

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated May 28, 2021 in General

I decided to brave the pandemic after my second shot and go for three days to Manchester, Vt.... drove here with my three year old and my three month old puppy - a few bags and a big smile! All in all it has been great but definitely not easy to travel w Liv and Flower -). Pit stops for both of them, a tiny hotel room for the three of us and a soft opened hotel without many of the normal amenities made it all an adventure! However - we are getting lots of fresh air - some skiing and hiking and shopping - all critical parts of a vacation for me :-). Interestingly I noticed how hard it is for me to handle alcohol now - wondering if the pandemic has lowered my tolerance or if my drugs are affecting me more now 12 years out? I feel sick after one glass of wine - and I have a headache the day after... I think I will avoid alcohol all together unless consumed w lots of water on the side and a big meal! Speaking of meals - so hard to get the right stuff for my sensitive stomach / seems everyone is adding garlic now to be Italian or fancy :-). I am better off eating yogurt, toast, and nibbling on kids dishes...

lastly - I do recommend taking a road trip and staying in a safe place for a few nights after this year of being locked up - it does do you good to get out of your home - maybe only to allow you to long to be back in your comfortable bed and among all your things again :-)

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• eburfordTransplant Patient

Headed to the Colorado from North carolina here in the states this weekend! So excited to getaway!

March 23, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I can’t wait for a vacation not to my transplant centre. Enjoy the time away!

March 24, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am back home and sooo tired! The drive, the change of food and sleep habits really causes issues for me / I used to travel at least twice a month and now I am a rookie!

March 24, 2021
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Yay!! What part of CO? I live in Northern Colorado/Denver area. (not quite Northern CO, but also not quite Denver...) Hopefully you are getting in some skiing/boarding or snowshoeing, etc. with all the great snow we have had recently.

March 24, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I’m heading on a mini road trip to Austin, Texas this weekend. It will be my first time traveling since the pandemic. I’m excited to see more then my house and dialysis center.

March 24, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Enjoy!! Advice- bring crackers and ginger ale - saved me!!

March 24, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I have my second shot in a few weeks and then I'm heading to the Olympic National forest for a little camping. I'm really excited but loading up on all my sanitizers!

March 25, 2021