Kidney/Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Kidney/Pancreas

Alcohol

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated May 28, 2021 in Kidney/Pancreas

Do you drink alcohol? If so - what kind? I notice that it is harder for me to deal w alcohol post transplant and I feel dizzier than before and importantly terrible the next day... lots of water with each glass of wine and a sturdy meal seem to help somewhat but I am considering just not drinking at all!

Tagged:

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• AnnMarieCare Partner

I can not. With my MS it affects my cognitive and adds to my pins and needles. If I do it has to be liquor with very little sugar in it

March 23, 2021
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I don't drink alcohol anymore since before my transplant in February of 2020. I have found myself drinking more water, but also trying to find Mocktails that are a reasonable price. It seems like they are becoming more popular, more companies are experimenting with them, and restaurants are now trying to offer them too. @Karin Have you tried non-alcoholic wine? Otherwise I have found a few good Mocktails I really like.

March 23, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’ve had 1 glass of wine in 3 years but I am looking forward to first going out and second trying mocktails. I don’t want to damage my new liver in anyway. I didn’t know they made non alcoholic wine that sounds interesting.

March 23, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I used to have a glass of wine when I would go out to dinner with friends. But since the pandemic I have completely stopped drinking any kind of alcohol. Mostly because it was more of a social thing and its easier to keep weight off if I don't have those added wine calories. Post pandemic life, I think I will continue to stick with just water. I just seem to feel better.

March 23, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Alcohol! (Imagine I’m singing this. It’s one of those mornings)

I haven’t had a drink since my transplant. Pre transplant when I would drink I would get drunk really fast. I’m not opposed to drinking again (I said I’d wait until after the year mark to try any of those “rebellious” things) and I guess I’d just see how it affects me. I didn’t drink often before but I do miss cocktails and a good glass of wine. And I suck at making my own drinks - i need to find a good bottled mocktail

March 24, 2021
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 I can imagine you singing this song and rocking it! 😊I have found a really good mocktail if you like strawberry margarita, Moscow mules, or even mojitos! They are called Kul Mocks and they have been my go to! So good, you can even put it in a glass that the alcoholic drink would come in. 😀 I have also become obsessed with my new soda stream. I ordered two mocktails from them (pina colada and pink mojito) and they are also very good. You can drink them at anytime of the day and not feel guilty...haha.😆 Hope this helps.

March 24, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

These are some great ideas / for me alcohol was never something I did alone, or even much of but I really like the ceremony of a cocktail - aperol spritz, vodka lime, margarita and having grown up in Europe, wine was often part of dinner and still is at my parents house. I do not like the atmosphere of being the only one not drinking at a table do drinkers - you notice the silly behavior and emotions that seem to rise too quickly. seems transparent wine (rose best) and light vodka mixes work better for me than a heavy red one!

March 24, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Ooh @bhameister i’ll have to try those.

I do ningxia red from young living with tonic water and lime. But I agree with @Karin for me I’m finding it’s a lot more about the ritual and the connection than it is just wanting something to drink

March 25, 2021
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

I am able to drink post transplant but do it very little. I don’t like sweet drinks so I would pass on the mocktails. When I do drink my favorite is Diet Coke with Rum and lime juice. When I don’t want to drink I use diet coke or diet sprite in a wine glass. I love drinking out of a wine glass. Today it doesn’t seem to matter if one drinks or not….although 2 of my family members say I’m so much more fun when I do!!! Oh well.

March 20, 2022