Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Post transplant weight gain - is it common?

AnitaCare Partner
Updated May 28, 2021 in Liver

We have been battling the weight gain issues, six years into a liver transplant, weight gain is difficult to fight, given other health conditions.

For a liver transplant patient, doctors do not like excess weigh gain - as they do not want a transplanted patient to end up with a fatty liver condition.

was looking for some pointers on that - diet/exercise/lower tac dose -what has been your experience?

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• PreToPostTransplant Patient

There is a personal trainer who works with transplant recipients. They are offering online training now. You might want to look into it. The website is PreToPostFitness.com

March 25, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Anita I too am struggling with my weight. My doctors haven’t said anything about it yet but I’m worried about it. I’ve always been heavy and when I became sick I lost a lot of weight really fast. They were happy that I had gained weight but I’m scared I can’t control it now. Due to Covid I’m not very active and I can’t afford the trainers and private gyms. I’m looking for suggestions and ideas to keep my weight down besides eating healthy which I try to do and gyms.

March 25, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I actually lost weight after my transplant but I know that isn’t normal.

for me I haven’t been super active but I do love yoga, learning tiktok dances or walking the dog, just easy ways I can trick my body into moving. Also I’ve noticed I crave carbs so picking more complex carbs over simple carbs has helped

March 25, 2021