Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Post transplant hormones

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
March 26, 2021 in Liver

Have any of you lost your hair post transplant? Or dealt with hormonal fluctuations after?

I’ve been experiencing a lot of hormonal changes since my transplant and was curious if they could be related or if other people experienced this too. I would imagine the major stress and trauma to your body would cause some kind of changes but I’m just curious

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Yes!! I think the trauma affects us for a Long time post transplant - hair loss is common and so is loss of libido

March 27, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin good to know! I’ve definitely had an easier time accepting the emotional side of the trauma as long lasting but sometimes I forget my physical body will need a long time to adjust to the trauma too. I have extensions now, got them to cover my bald spots from hair loss and now we’ve run into problems since the hair my extensions are attached to have started coming out.

In the pamphlet they gave me after transplant they said libido would come back almost immediately after transplant - that hasn’t been my case at all! 7 months and I still am comprehending my own body for myself much less figuring out how to use my body for other things

March 27, 2021
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

Before transplant I had very thick hair and would loose a few strands a day. Four months after transplant, I started loosing my hair more than normal...I would come out in clumps. I had to clean my bathroom everyday. Since then I asked my post transplant coordinator about taking biotin but was told it has to have no vitamin C in it. My hair is growing back and just putting up with these so called bangs right now. I will probably continue to take biotin for a while now.

March 28, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@bhameister interesting about the no vitamin C. I was told the only thing citrusy to avoid was grapefruit. I’ve heard that depends on the kind of anti rejection meds you’re on though.

I contemplated shaving it all off and wearing wigs. I got extensions instead, and am working really hard with my hairdresser on products and things I can use to help my hair grow back in stronger and healthier

March 29, 2021
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 I was told no extra vitamin C supplement (even in the Biotin), but it was okay to have some in the multi-vitamin I take. I didn't understand it fully, but I am glad I checked with my coordinator before checking. It just comes natural now that it is with the rest of my morning meds. I was also to avoid grapefruit and pomegranate due to reacting with the anti-rejection drugs (Tac).

I also tried a shampoo and I saw a little bit of change, but my hair sometimes doesn't do very well with other products than what it is used to. I haven't had a haircut in 1.5 years and am so ready for one. Just debating if I really want to get one or let it keep growing. haha 😂

March 29, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@bhameister interesting. I wasn’t told any of that. I heard other people say they can’t have pomegranate but I wasn’t told anything about it. I’ve had it a few times in juices and have been fine but I’m also not a regular pomegranate eater.

I do love my oranges and orange juice though. And I always have lemon and lime in my water

March 29, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

So maybe TMI (if you know me you’ll know I always dive off the deep end into TMI territory) but does anyone else notice their period was affected by their transplant? Like I get really bad stomach issues now during my period, which somehow always affects my liver enzymes. Everyone thinks I’m dying but it resolves itself as soon as my period is over. Anyone else?

April 1, 2021