General — TransplantLyfe

General

Efficacy of the mRNA vaccines in transplant patients

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated May 29, 2021 in General

Today I am at Columbia presbyterian to get tested for anti-spike protein antibodies. It was shown in a story from Hopkins that was published in JAMA last week that transplant patients generating a disappointing response to the vaccine compared to normal people. It is especially those of us on mycophenylate, MMF, Myfortic, and Azathioprine (I am on azathioprine). Makes sense since we are supposed to be suppressed in our immune response but in this case it is critical to learn more! I am getting tested so that I can feel safe or not with respect to the efficacy of the vaccine and hopefully, soon, there will be additional stories by Pfizer and Moderna focusing on immune suppressed people and what dose they should have!

Tagged:

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient

Good stuff to know!

March 28, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I was positive for the anti spike antibodies!! Please - everyone who has received the vaccine and is on anti metabolite drugs such as MMF and azathioprine - do ask your transplant center to give you the test for anti-spike protein antibodies to check if you have mounted a response!!

March 28, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@Karin Thank you for sharing this important information. I get tested for this in a couple weeks.

March 29, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

So many things to think about. I’ll definitely ask my team once I qualify for the vaccine

March 29, 2021
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

I’m on tacrolimus, sirolimus, ursodiol, and pred.

I can’t seem to find the article on JAMA.

Has anyone seen vaccine and antibodies on patients with any of those meds?

March 29, 2021
  • AviTransplant Patient

@brookegurrad

I would also love to know the antibody response to these meds. Anyone?

May 20, 2021