General — TransplantLyfe

General

Photography tips

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
Updated June 3, 2021 in General

I mentioned a while ago I’m a photographer. And when I posted my latest photo shoot in my thread (my daily thoughts) I got a lot of positive feedback. SO today I thought I’d share with you some of my own healing photography tips. You can do this on your own, in your closet, as a selfie. No rules! Your job is to play and have fun. We’ll start small and if you take any photos along the way I’d love to see them (or if you’re a fellow photographer and have any tips or tricks you’d like to share, please do!)

so my number one rule is every photograph is an illusion. Good or bad. Every picture is just capturing one thing. So give yourself permission to play with filters! Make art with your body, do something totally bizarre. Wear a wig, wear a paper bag, take photos in total darkness or in really bright light. There is no perfect angle - what you like won’t be what someone else likes, so just have fun and play around. And if you take a photo you don’t love, delete with dignity. It’s not you, it’s just an illusion. Sometimes I take a photo, see myself and go “I don’t really love that one of me. Haha, that’s ok. Delete.” You won’t love them all, but why spend hours beating yourself up over a less than stellar photo? Use your props, play with lighting, play with how you’re posing your body (hint: whatever is closest to the camera will look bigger. If your conscious of your scars, don’t bring them closest to the camera. Angles people!)

Even if it feels uncomfortable, maybe try just one. If you hate it, delete it. But maybe you’ll unlock an art form you didn’t know you loved. And I’ll see you back here for more photo tips!

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Tips number 2 - let’s talk about lighting! Lighting plays a big part in getting that perfect shot. You know how photographers love to talk about golden hour? That’s why. Golden hour light makes for gorgeous photos. Good lighting can make the difference between a photo you love and a photo you hate. Here’s a tip I use: if the light is directly behind you, it creates a harsher light. Shadows/silhouette ... if the light source is directly in front of you, it can create a really bright, blinding sort of appearance. Great if that’s what you’re going for, not so great for creating a natural photo. My favourite lighting is any natural light source, so by a window or outside when it’s not the heat of the day. Play around and see what kind of light you like best. And remember - it’s all a game. Play with it. Make art with your body. And if you don’t love it, delete with dignity. I often will take hundreds of photos and only end up keeping a handful

April 5, 2021