General — TransplantLyfe

General

Covid vaccine naysayers

AliEm14Transplant Patient
April 5, 2021 in General

How do you deal with the Covid vaccine naysayers? I’m talking the “my immune system is my mask” and “the government is controlling us” kinds of people? I’ve encountered a few of them recently and first and foremost it makes me so sad. I also find it really triggering. I want to know what to say to educate them on immunocompromised life but more often than not I find myself stunned

1 - 12 of 12 Replies

• DoublelungTransplant Patient

I am probably as independent as they come and I was wearing a mask long before they ay sayers so. I just mostly ignore them. Proves they are not well informed. I have said to a couple of people ( that I know well ). “ I am living prof masks work-being protecting me for almost 5 years now “ then explain I basically have NO immune system etc. and leave it at that. Strangers I just ignore.

April 5, 2021

I am about as independent as they come. I have been wearing a mask long before they knew what a mask was. If they are strangers I ignore them- they are just showing how uninformed they are. I have told a few people ( that I know fairly well ) that my mask has been protecting me for almost 5 years and then explain I basically have no immune system, explain my transplant and use that to see if they are signed up to be donors and promote organ donation. Before COVID I was asked a lot but not any more.

April 5, 2021
  • AliEm14Transplant Patient

I like your answer! It just bothers me so much that people think they don't need to wear masks because it's all about them. Like yes, I have a mask and am doing everything to protect myself but especially now with Covid, I also need other people to wear their masks so I can be safe. And while I can stay home, other people in my household can't and what if they catch something and bring it home... But other people don't think like that. To them if you're immunocompromised just stay home and let everyone else return to normal (which is also unacceptable and ableist and makes me want to pull my hair out everytime someone says it). I feel like this is something other people won't understand until it happens to them. People can imagine but they don't know what it's like to have no immune system and have to constantly be on guard until they have no immune system

April 6, 2021

I understand your frustration BUT😄 you/we can only control-what we do.

Now back COVID out of the situation. Say 4 years ago I was walking around with a mask to protect myself. No one else had a mask. No one would except all the people around me to wear a mask just to protect me. That is the way I look at it now. I do what I can do. You can not control what other people do. I look at this as I got along fine-not even a cold, flu, nothing. We also can not except people to alter their lives to fit “our life style”.

don’t get mad at me😬😬😬 just trying to help you see it from thief point of view.

“people think they don't need to wear masks because it's all about them.”

but on the other hand you think be should wear masks because it all about you.

hope this helps-it is fun to have some one to chat with about stuff like this.

take have a great Day.

April 6, 2021

I understand your frustration BUT😄 you/we can only control-what we do.

Now back COVID out of the situation. Say 4 years ago I was walking around with a mask to protect myself. No one else had a mask. No one would except all the people around me to wear a mask just to protect me. That is the way I look at it now. I do what I can do. You can not control what other people do. I look at this as I got along fine-not even a cold, flu, nothing. We also can not except people to alter their lives to fit “our life style”.

don’t get mad at me😬😬😬 just trying to help you see it from thief point of view.

“people think they don't need to wear masks because it's all about them.”

but on the other hand you think be should wear masks because it all about you.

hope this helps-it is fun to have some one to chat with about stuff like this.

take have a great Day.

April 6, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Great point of view! Thank you.

April 6, 2021

@Doublelung interesting. I do get it, people are entitled to their points of view. The way I look at it it’s not just me who benefits from people wearing masks. There are so many people who could be severely impacted by contracting Covid. Right now the rules where I am is wear masks. So whatever your personal opinion on it is, just suck it up and wear a mask and follow the rules.

i do see their perspective, I really do. And I’m not saying they aren’t entitled to it. I just see it as selfish, no matter which angle you come at it from

April 7, 2021

Hey there-I am on your side-our side. I was just playing “devils advocate”.

like I said I can only control me. As I have become more ancient, have learn not to worry about what is out of my control. Am I Pro mask by all means. the mandate vs not mandate I do not get into. I compare EVERYONE wearing masks to the people durning WW2 in London, with the night bombing raids, if a third of them said “i not turning out my lights at night just because the government told me to” I do believe London would have looked a lot different after the war.

But we as transplants are going to have to learn to maneuver through this as “mandates” are lifted, then even more people will be without masks.

stay safe. Enjoy all this extra time we have been blessed with

April 7, 2021

@Doublelung you do make so much sense. I love how you compared it to London. I know ultimately the only thing I can control is me - this is just one issue I get so fired up about.

i feel like getting my transplant during Covid has made me so paranoid about everything

April 8, 2021

I can certainly understand your caution, transplanting during COVID. TX itself is scary enough. So much for that invincible feeling huh ? Not to worry young lady you made it through the toughest part-1st year- you got this ! Thank God or who you Thank that you have to worry about all this. Without your transplant you may not be here, I know I probably would not. I have this saying when people ask me how it is going.

“every day is a good day”……and sometimes I add “ some are just better than others”

take care-be safe.

April 8, 2021
    April 12, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I have several close family members and friends that are this way. I just educate them on why it is important for me to be vaccinated. But I also respect their opinions. If they do not want to get the vaccine and wear masks then its on them. I try to focus on the things I can control in my life. Otherwise I would be a mess. People do not think that things will ever happen to them until they happen. We already had a major circumstance impact our lives so we are in a different mindset. I don't think there is much we can say to change their minds. They need find out on their own through their own experiences.

April 14, 2021