General — TransplantLyfe

General

Covid vaccine naysayers

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
Updated May 29, 2021 in General

How do you deal with the Covid vaccine naysayers? I’m talking the “my immune system is my mask” and “the government is controlling us” kinds of people? I’ve encountered a few of them recently and first and foremost it makes me so sad. I also find it really triggering. I want to know what to say to educate them on immunocompromised life but more often than not I find myself stunned

Tagged:

1 - 12 of 12 Replies

• [Deleted User]Transplant Patient
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    April 5, 2021
    April 5, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I like your answer! It just bothers me so much that people think they don't need to wear masks because it's all about them. Like yes, I have a mask and am doing everything to protect myself but especially now with Covid, I also need other people to wear their masks so I can be safe. And while I can stay home, other people in my household can't and what if they catch something and bring it home... But other people don't think like that. To them if you're immunocompromised just stay home and let everyone else return to normal (which is also unacceptable and ableist and makes me want to pull my hair out everytime someone says it). I feel like this is something other people won't understand until it happens to them. People can imagine but they don't know what it's like to have no immune system and have to constantly be on guard until they have no immune system

April 6, 2021
    April 6, 2021
    April 6, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Great point of view! Thank you.

April 6, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Doublelung interesting. I do get it, people are entitled to their points of view. The way I look at it it’s not just me who benefits from people wearing masks. There are so many people who could be severely impacted by contracting Covid. Right now the rules where I am is wear masks. So whatever your personal opinion on it is, just suck it up and wear a mask and follow the rules.

i do see their perspective, I really do. And I’m not saying they aren’t entitled to it. I just see it as selfish, no matter which angle you come at it from

April 7, 2021
    April 7, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Doublelung you do make so much sense. I love how you compared it to London. I know ultimately the only thing I can control is me - this is just one issue I get so fired up about.

i feel like getting my transplant during Covid has made me so paranoid about everything

April 8, 2021
    April 8, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient
    April 12, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I have several close family members and friends that are this way. I just educate them on why it is important for me to be vaccinated. But I also respect their opinions. If they do not want to get the vaccine and wear masks then its on them. I try to focus on the things I can control in my life. Otherwise I would be a mess. People do not think that things will ever happen to them until they happen. We already had a major circumstance impact our lives so we are in a different mindset. I don't think there is much we can say to change their minds. They need find out on their own through their own experiences.

April 14, 2021