Kidney โ€” TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Cholesterol

JeanmarieTransplant Patient
Updated May 28, 2021 in Kidney

In December my Lipid panel came back as severely elevated. I couldn't figure out why at first because I am vegan. So I thought I was already eating healthy. But when I was honest with myself I realized I was eating too much vegan processed foods. Its easy to buy during a pandemic.

So I stopped eating all processed foods. I now make every meal from scratch. And I have a smoothie for breakfast. I am also walking 3 miles and 1 hour of yoga a day. In 3 months I have been able to get my lipid panel to drop more than 100 points and almost back to normal. I have 5 more weeks to get it down to normal otherwise the doctors will out me on meds, ugh.

Anyone else have cholesterol issues they were able to remedy through diet and exercise? I seem to be on the right track. But anyone else have any tips that have helped them?

Tagged:

1 - 11 of 11 Replies

• [Deleted User]Transplant Patient
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    April 14, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Your exercise routine makes me tired just reading about it!

I started eating less meat (I still do eat it but maybe 1-2 times a week instead of multiple times a day) and also upped my greens intake (green juice, smoothies...) and that has helped me

April 14, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Oh yes, fish oil is a great idea! I should increase my Omega's. Let me know how your next set of labs come back.

April 14, 2021

My exercise routine used to exhaust me too! It took about 3 months for my body to build muscle and for me to feel strong. On days I am tired I still do my walks, I just walk slower. And upping my greens is a great idea too!

April 14, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jeanmarie 3 months post surgery? I’m 8 months out and feel like I couldn’t even do half of that! I am getting stronger and making progress though

April 15, 2021

Oh no. I am 15 years post transplant. 3 months into my exercise routine :)

April 15, 2021
  • [Deleted User]Transplant Patient
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    April 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jeanmarie oh good! That makes me feel so much better! I was like what is this girl taking that she could do that 3 months out and how can I get it? ๐Ÿ˜‚

April 16, 2021

That is an awesome hike! I would love to do that one day. Yes, I agree to just keep moving. That is very important. And just listening to your body. I am trying to get back into good habits and my body back into hiking shape.

April 17, 2021

Haha. I think it all depends too on your body. Over the 15 years I have had tons of energy and than sometimes not so much. I try to at least stay consistent with always keep moving.

April 17, 2021
  • bsmeltzerTransplant Patient

I never had a problem with cholesterol until after my transplant. The doctors told me that it is because the liver is working to focus on the meds we take that sometimes it forgets to work on the cholesterol.

i did make dietary changes and exercise, but that didn’t help as much as we hoped. I did end up taking meds, a very low dose, but my levels are great now. Good luck on your journey though.

June 17, 2021