General — TransplantLyfe

General

My transplant saved my mental health

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
April 27, 2021 in General

I wrote a post today about how choosing transplant saved me. Not only physically but mentally. I chose to pursue transplant over alternative treatments partly because it was my smartest option and other treatments would only delay the transplant but also because I knew in my gut it was right.

my transplant woke me up. I trusted myself to make that decision. I learned how to advocate for myself, that it’s ok to ask for help. Maybe it’s a being sick since birth thing so I have a different perspective on this but saying out loud I couldn’t do this anymore, that living with my disease in its current condition was killing me physically and mentally and that I wanted a transplant, it did something in me. I had to learn to do so many things again or for the first time but even as I struggled in these things I also felt a fire in me like I knew I had what it took. I found myself there. And the girl I found is pretty awesome.

I feel bolder now, braver, more authentically me. I’m far more intuitive (my gut - she knows what’s up). And yeah, transplant life is a whole new kind of hard. But I know I have what it takes. I know I can trust myself. And I’ve got me.

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Love Love Love!!! I can honestly say that I have also came to a similar place with my mental health but it wasn't instant. It took me some years post transplant to find who I was and love her unconditionally. Transplant life is not easy and definitely a journey but it's a journey I wouldn't change.

April 27, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda yes! I love that! Transplant is such a game changer in so many ways! It’s not just physical

April 28, 2021