General — TransplantLyfe

General

Let’s get physical!

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
Updated May 28, 2021 in General

I recorded an Instagram reel about my core recovery workout plan (find it here: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CONzapIBXEW/?igshid=1dzd7jnh2s78d)

man oh man my core is still on fire! Re-engaging those muscles that were cut in half is so hard. Before transplant I was a yogi and had such a deep connection with my body and movement. And now it’s a struggle to even keep muscles engaged for a 10 minute workout.

I supplement my core work with a lot of yoga and a tiny bit of focus on lower or upper body depending on the day. It’s all about engaging those muscles and working with my body as it is now, not as I want it to be. Developing that deep sense of body awareness is key.

With my background in fitness and yoga, I’m curious - do you want to see more fitness/yoga videos transplant style?

what are your favourite kinds of ways to move your body? What works for you with your transplant and what doesn’t? For me, I hate hate hate cardio! Give me strength training all day every day baby!

1 - 14 of 14 Replies

• Denise_RTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 - I love walking and hiking! I do a super brisk 5k plus every single day and do some strength training 2-3 times per week. Trying to improve my flexibility though!

April 29, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm not a huge walker, mostly because we live in the city (I hate walking in cities) and it's cold and snowing here 9 months out of the year! Yoga is my go to - awesome for flexibility too.

April 29, 2021
  • Denise_RTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 - I've got to try yoga - used to do Pilates but couldn't go to my classes last year. Working on incorporating yoga!

April 29, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I also enjoy yoga but my favorite way to get my heart rate up is indoor cycling. I was blessed to get my peloton bike pre-pandemic so I was able to take classes while being at home.

May 3, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda i’ve never tried cycling! I feel like I would enjoy it if it was just pedaling and not all those crazy lifts and dips! I’ve heard so many good things about peloton though. Is it worth it?

May 4, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 I personally love my peloton but it is an expensive investment. I own the bike so besides those classes I have access to yoga, strength, cardio and meditation classes. I have always loved riding a bike so that fact that I can do indoor and outdoor is great. I’m not going to lie, I hate running so this a great alternative when it comes to cardio.

May 4, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda amen sister! I hate running. Always thought maybe I’d get into it one day but I live in such a cold climate and with no treadmill it’s not really worth even trying.

Buti yoga is my new fave for cardio

May 5, 2021
  • Kimothy80Transplant Patient

I hope you don't mind, but I just gave you a follow on IG! I much prefer walking or dancing around my apartment. I WISH I was motivated to do some strength training or yoga.

May 10, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

i absolutely don't mind! I love connecting with other chronic illness and transplant patients. I've found starting small is so important. Literally yesterday I did 10 minutes. one song dance party - done! walk around the block with the dog - done! I have another instagram reel coming out this week too that's core focused but great when you're short on time.

Instead of focusing on getting a workout in, what about switching your mindset to moving your body in anyway that feels good? In my day planner instead of saying workout or do a 90 minute yoga class or 60 minute strength or whatever it just says movement medicine. Move, however feels good, for however long feels good. That's a win in my book

May 11, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I posted another fitness video to my instagram today. This one is another core focused practice I call the quick killer. In that it's short but I feel like my core is on fire after (I guess I'm not doing a very good job at selling that one).

But it's fun, a chance for me to turn on some loud music and pretend I'm a kid again slipping around on the floor with my socks.

You can find it @alisha.emerald if you're interested. And if you try it, let me know how it goes!

May 13, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

One day maybe I will figure out how to do a Reel and share a video of my routine. Since I live in San Diego, everything I do is outdoors. I love walking and hiking. I walk 3 miles everyday and do 1 hour of yoga everyday. About once a week I do a 6 mile beach walk. I love it.

May 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jeanmarie i can help you if you want. Making reels is easy once you get the hang of it. Just message me and I’ll walk you through it

May 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Restrictions are lifting where I am and I'm curious, are you heading back to the gym? Or are at home workouts still more your thing?

I miss the accountability and community of a gym, and I'm debating about whether or not I'll go back soon but currently it's still home workouts for me. The downside is I find it hard to stay motivated when I'm working out alone. My trick: Don't feel like you have to dedicate a lot of time to working out. I do lunges when I'm brushing my teeth, I watch TV while stretching out my hips, I'm squeezing my core muscles as I'm writing this. Even picking a parking spot further away and walking to the store is a good alternative. It's not about being perfect, it's about incorporating movement into your current routine.

July 5, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

So I love moving my body, but lately I've found myself needing inspiration to actually work out. Go for a walk, do yoga... I've been trying to do short intervals of things like dance breaks or stretching at my desk, but I'm craving a longer, more structured session. Anyone have any tips? I'm considering going back to a gym but I'd also love things I can do at home.

July 13, 2021