General — TransplantLyfe

General

Travel and vacations

mikemTransplant Patient
Updated June 3, 2021 in General

Hi Everyone,

How are you feeling about travel these days? I really want to get a beach day in this summer. I don't think I have any desire to get on a plane, though the reports seem to suggest that planes may be safe??? Yes, triple question mark!

Tagged:

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I have yet to go on a vacation since everything. I'm feeling a roadtrip this summer since our borders are still closed. I'll be fully vaccinated as of next week and with taking precautions I'm not too worried. I would probably feel ok with flying too. Airports especially seem to run a pretty tight ship in terms of cleanliness and mask wearing. Maybe don't go licking any telephone poles though...

May 11, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I went on my first trip in March - we drove to Vermont and stayed in a hotel for three days - it was nice to get away although the hotel did not offer cleaning, turndown service or breakfast so.... not exactly the real experience yet - this was all due to Covid btw. However, in July I am planning to fly to Europe and stay there for five weeks!

May 11, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’m going on a mini vacation next weekend. A friend is treating me to mountain get-a-way in the Smokies. I’m excited but a bit nervous too. We are going fully masked and hand sanitizer in our pockets.

May 11, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I went a mini vacation last month but we drove. I haven’t been on a plane yet. I’m torn as well. I want to go on vacation this summer but not sure if I’m ready for it yet.

May 12, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

l just got back from the Olympic National Park. I took a quick 2 1/2 hour flight from San Diego to Oregon. I then drove to Washington State to the park. I weighed all the risks but I felt I just needed to get away.

I doubled masked in the airport and on the plane. I used my little wipes to wipe down everything. I decided to keep my mask on and not snack or drink anything on the plane. I do feel pre-pandemic it was always a risk anyway for transplant patients to get on a plane but now everyone else is masked so it feels much safer. I am really glad I took the trip.

May 15, 2021
  • AviTransplant Patient

I think road tripping, self catering, is far safer... Just a little while longer without flying would be safer.... Our vaccine roll out here in SA is slow. A change of space into nature is Gods gift for the soul. As a transplant recipient I believe our immunity to the covid virus is less than 20% if I'm not mistaken, so until the stats are low low on cases then I would fly and I think masking will become our best friend.

May 20, 2021
  • DonnyCTransplant Patient

Hey, Mike. I took a week or so and made a road trip to both east & west coast Florida beaches last month. Stayed in a couple of beach resorts. Dined at several restaurants with exceptionally spaced-out outdoor dining. Was only a touch apprehensive the 1st day, but took the appropriate precautions with all activities. Had a great time! I also took a flight out of necessity in March - used the same precautions but at that time middle seats were unoccupied and flight seating was pretty well spaced out. I think that has now changed to where flights are back to normal capacity. I realize, unfortunately, that most of us can't depend on vaccination as a protective factor right now but I think if one takes good precautions and really wants/needs to get away for a bit, it can be done with risks minimized.

May 21, 2021