General — TransplantLyfe

General

Dropping Masks?

JeanmarieTransplant Patient
Updated May 29, 2021 in General

How is everyone feeling about the CDC new recommendations about no longer needing to wear masks? They also say if you have a compromised immune system to discuss with your doctor. What are your doctors saying?

I am definitely not ready to not wear my mask in a public setting. How is everyone else feeling about this?

1 - 21 of 21 Replies

• ChristopherTransplant Patient

I’m going to continue to wear my mask everywhere I go. I’ve been told by my transplant staff that the COVID vaccine has not shown good results in transplant patients taking immunosuppressant medications. I’m just not goi g to take the risk.

May 15, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’m going to continue to wear my mask? I’m scared not to right now even though I’m vaccinated. I do have a question fir those of you who had transplants before COVID how long did you wear a mask and did you fear the flu and other things going around?? Just curious??

May 15, 2021
  • VeggiePoweredTransplant Patient

I view protecting my new liver as a duty I owe my donor and their family so my mask 😷 will stay on until inflection rates and hospitalizations are around New Zealand 🇳🇿 levels 🙂. It would be nice if i could trust my fellow americans to not go unmasked unless they are vaccinated but that's not going to happen.

May 15, 2021
  • DonnyCTransplant Patient

Agree with Christopher. I have been tested and found that I do not have any antibody response post-vaccination. Transplant centers are now sharing that the intended antibody response is at a lower rate for transplant recipients than the general population. In addition, the American Society of Transplantation (AST) guidance as of 5/7 is for transplant recipients to continue wearing masks and using the COVID protocols in place for the last year.

May 16, 2021
  • DonnyCTransplant Patient

Hey, Deb! Pre-COVID (and after my transplant was stable), I wore my mask when on flights/trains and inside crowded public areas during flu season. I have a healthy respect for viruses but still got out and enjoyed life.

May 16, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I agree. I am not going to take the risk either. Thank you for the info.

May 16, 2021

My transplant was 15 years ago but I remember wearing my mask for about a month around and about 6 months when I would go for doctor visits. And pre-covid I always wore a mask on the plane. I did get ill with the flu once and was hospitalized for a week. I am always fearful or viruses. I also caught a very rare virus about 4 years ago. I was in the hospital for weeks. Transplant team didn't catch it right away because they usually do not test for it. My bone marrow no longer makes blood on its own.

May 16, 2021
    May 16, 2021

Thank you so much Donny for the great info! I need to follow up with my transplant team to find out about the antibody testing.

May 16, 2021
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

We know who we are, "fully vaccinated" or not, let's please CONTINUE TO PROTECT OURSELVES (& others too) ✔ 😷 😷 

(Thank you Dr. @Dorry_Segev ) ->>  https://t.co/48B1Y7HOb0

#wearamask #maskup #protection #GetVaccinated #COVID19 #coronavirus #covidvacccine #immunocompromised 

#Transplant #transplantstrong #transplantwarrior #survivor

Thanks!

#staysafe #stayhealthy

May 16, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

Such a great conversation here. I had the same one with the MS community

May 17, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I agree with everyone. I decided early on that I was going to keep my mask on even when they told others they could stop. I’m still a transplant patient and I wore mask to big events or crowded areas before COVID.

May 17, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I’m in Canada and we’re not the same. We have really high numbers right now, and are pretty much all in lockdown. I got my second vaccine today but even as we move out of lockdown and into a time when they drop the mask mandate I’ll still wear mine. Maybe not as obsessively depending on my antibody test but I’ll still keep mask wearing long past when it stops being cool

May 17, 2021
  • BMont81Transplant Patient

I’ll continue to wear mine in settings where I feel I need to. We had people over for the first time in a year last week, all vaccinated so no masks and I was comfortable with that.

However, when we go out if I feel I’m in a setting where some or none are vaccinated and it’s crowded, I’ll continue to wear. I personally have not worn one when outside on walks, in the city or parks, etc. The only thing we can control is if we wear them to try and protect ourselves in the situations we feel more vulnerable

May 21, 2021
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I am just bringing this discussion back up... kind of like taco bell, it always makes another appearance. KIDDING :)

The hospital where I had my transplant, while I was in post op I asked how long the nurses thought they would be wearing masks and they said forever. Last week that hospital announced that masks are no longer required in the facility... I went in for blood work, wearing my mask, and my son wearing his, and I was surprised that people were not wearing their masks. That being said, the phlebotomist were all still wearing theirs. I didn't make it onto any of the care floors, just the lab, and my appointment was virtual so both my provider and I were at home. My next appointment, as long as my labs continue to remain good and stable, will also be virtual so I think I will have to ask what the policy is on the transplant floor and in the transplant center.

I still wear my mask when I go out. I do remove it when I am sitting at my desk at work. There is no one around me at my desk, and I will put my mask on when I go into a crowded conference room, or get up from my desk to walk the building. My first week back at work the facility was pretty empty (we just moved into a new building) I was without my mask one Friday when I was onsite. I didn't think too much of it since I see very few individuals on Fridays. I ended up with Strep Throat, a double ear infection, and a sinus infection. It was all okay, and easily managed, but it certainly put things into perspective. This was back in the first week of February and I was not quite 6 months post-op, after two rounds of Thymo. It was not surprising that I got the super bug. I was thrilled that I recovered without issue though.

How is everyone still feeling about masks?

April 3, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Tservold, My TP center requires u wear a mask. I chose not to get the Covid vaccination, I am 2.5 yrs LTP have not had Covid so with that said I still wear my 😷 mask when in public places. People look at me kinda strange b/c most people r not wearing mask anymore. Like everything it’s a choice for each person.

April 3, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

@TServold and @Melsamm I agree that it’s a very personal choice. I wear my mask when I go into hospitals where it is required. Otherwise, I don’t use a mask anymore, except for flying. My thought process is that if I see someone visibly ill, I can remove myself from just about anywhere except an airplane. My family got COVID twice and I was able to avoid it. I stopped wearing masks after getting Evushield injections, although I know the science is questionable about that injection now. I’m almost 5 years out from my transplant. I’m not saying I’m doing it right, but it’s what I’m doing now because it’s what I feel comfortable with currently.

April 4, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

In Canada it's still required in hospitals and all government buildings. Most people don't wear them in other places. My husband and I both still mask in public places like grocery stores, places that are busier, and my husband masks at work (I work from home otherwise I would as well).

Personally I don't know when I'd ever feel comfortable getting rid of them. I wear it for myself, as well as others. Nobody else consented to getting exposed to what I'm comfortable being exposed to. If we're with close friends, or can social distance relatively well we don't wear them, mostly because we can offer informed consent to the decision of what we're exposed to.

I've never gotten covid (or any other kind of contagious illness really) since my transplant, which was in 2020. It's worth it to me, to not have had to deal with any sort of sickness.

April 4, 2023
  • BMont81Transplant Patient

We are still required at hospitals and checkups. I wear mine at those appointments and also when I fly, I travel a lot with work. I’ve stopped wearing mine outside of those two places.

I get my antibodies checked every few months for COVID.

Personal choice for everyone but that’s how I’ve decided to move forward. First few years I wore it everywhere. I’ve had two heart transplants and just got done when chemo in October for cancer, but I’ve been able to stay healthy with hand washing and distancing where able. Another data point that went into my decision is I have a kid in preschool, they don’t mask, so he’s been exposed for sure just given the mask and I’m trying to let my immune system keep me healthy. I’m 12 years out on my second heart transplant

April 4, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

[In Maryland] ⬇️ 

🌟 “However, health care professionals continue to care for vulnerable and immunocompromised populations who remain susceptible to severe consequences of infection, so all University of Maryland Medical System team members must continue to wear at least a well-fitting medical face mask when in contact with patients,” the statement read". 🌟 

😷 😷 😷 😷 😷

I always wear a 😷 when I'm outdoors and most certainly in confined settings. In the event I meet up with a few other like minded people to go grab a bite - it'll be to a restaurant that's not crowded and/or at times when it's not 'peak times'. Grocery stores etc, I 😷.  When people visit my home and I'm unsure of their routines / behaviors- I'll 😷 at home and I will most definitely keep my distance.

It's certainly a matter of personal choice for all, based on so many factors (including risk tolerance levels). Personally, I've seen (& I know) too many in the transplant community who have been impacted by COVID. Many are still getting impacted, even after have a 'mild case'.

Good luck to all!

April 5, 2023