General — TransplantLyfe

General

Covid

AviTransplant Patient
Updated May 29, 2021 in General

2 questions...Has anyone had covid post transplant?. And how you coped living with family members that are out and about before being vaccinated. I feel I'm dogging bullets at the moment as we go into our 3rd wave in South Africa and vaccines are just starting.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• GeraldWaymanTransplant Patient

I had covid 20 months after my last transplant. I was sick for about 3 days, like I had the flue. It passed and life was normal. I got it from my daughter who had come to visit me and did not know she had been exposed. My wife was by my side the whole time, caring for me and never got it.

May 24, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I haven't had Covid but my brother (who was my first donor) did. He was in pretty rough shape for a while, and still has long term effects. I'm fully vaccinated now (unsure if I have antibodies yet) and my immediate family has all had their first dose. My husband and I are both very cautious, both pre vaccine and now, about wearing masks, washing our hands, social distancing... When we had our second wave here around Christmas, I had just gotten out of the hospital and I knew my immune system was extra susceptible so we wore masks even with our cohort families (my parents) at Christmas indoors.

May 25, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I haven’t had covid so I can’t speak to that. As for coping, my love ones around me are vaccinated but before we were very cautious. My partner is a “last responder” so he had to be around people and go into the hospitals. We practice lots of hand washing, cleaning surfaces and he would shower and change before he would be around me.

May 25, 2021
  • AviTransplant Patient

Thanks everyone for the feedback @GeraldWayman wow thats encouraging! Ive always thought it would be quite bad!

And as I speak my husband got covid and moved out to isolate. On day 5 and coping. I'm here doing well so far after sleeping next to him and around him for 3 infectious days.. Thinking it was a sinus cold. We are so stricked with masking and sanitising around home and when family are out. Really hard trying to cope as a family unit of 4. So I wait this week to see but feeling strong so far....🙌 and feeling like Im a disinfectant bottle.😬

May 26, 2021