General — TransplantLyfe

General

Holistic transplantation

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
May 27, 2021 in General

I recently began working with Tina Clarke, who is a double lung transplant recipient and is doing a series on embodiment and transplant. This is the work I do also as an embodiment coach, and I have found such benefit in using this approach to work with the multifaceted issue of living life post transplant. I’m sharing some of my tips on Instagram as well as through one on one coaching but I’m curious what questions you have about embodiment and a holistic approach to transplant. What do you know? What do you want to know? What have you tried that’s worked, or hasn’t worked? Do you see the value in a more holistic approach to chronic illness and transplant medicine?

Tagged:

1 - 14 of 14 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I believe in Medical science and do not believe in embodiment or homeopathy - everyone is different! Would love to learn from you how it goes ....

May 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin i definitely believe in medical science as well! I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for medical science. We are not just physical beings - we are also mental and emotional. Holistic care, I believe, also includes mental and emotional care in our healing. And when I say embodiment I mean the literal definition of in the body. Embodiment is to give form to. So I like to think of it as bringing all parts of myself into alignment. Everything belongs. It’s been such a huge healing tool for me and I’d love to see it become common place in chronic illness care and post surgical care. It’s so interesting to hear other perspectives though. Any particular reason you’ve found it not to be for you?

May 31, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I just don’t know what it is! What is the training for it?? Who does it? What does it entail?

I totally believe in mind body soul - we need to attend to all of us - not sure a coach with minimal training can help though!

May 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@karin oh definitely! Some people aren’t trained and are just slapping the label on. Personally I’ve done a few pretty extensive trainings to be certified as an embodiment coach, a grief worker, I’m a certified trauma informed yoga teacher. I don’t think there’s just one way to do it but definitely don’t just go to anybody! Some people find it helpful to have someone walk them through things. As for me I have years of tools and training other people don’t necessarily have. I love the intersection between medical science and holistic science. I take prescriptions and supplements, do traditional and alternative pain relief. I believe the body stores trauma and to heal the mind we also need to heal the body. Working with someone else is for some people and other people it’s not

May 31, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I have always believed in taking care of my body and mind. I practice meditation and yoga. I am also vegan. I do not do it necessarily because of the transplant. I started doing it because of a Lupus diagnosis. It has kept my flares down over the years. I absolutely believe the mind is very powerful in our overall health. I use this approach along with my amazing scientific transplant drugs. Haha. But I think it definitely has made my journey easier in some ways.

May 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jeanmarie yes! Holistic treatment along with science. I don’t think I would be where I am today without my holistic mashup of treatment styles. Everybody has to find what works for them. I love how so many pieces can fit together to support our bodies

May 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I mentioned I'm taking a course on embodying transplant, and recently we were talking about mind body connection. Which we all know transplant is a physical event and yet it has such a profound mental impact. I think we would all say our entire self has been affected since our transplant.

What I didn't know is when we experience any major life event (like transplant) our brain actually creates new neural pathways. Our bodies are in this survival situation, and they respond in a really primal way, and current transplantation practices aren't set up to support all these areas (I know so many of us have experienced lack of mental health care post transplant)

So these new neural pathways are formed and when the brain perceives a similar event that neural pathway is activated. So say I have a cold, or I'm getting labs, I'm not in immediate danger of death, but because that pathway was created during transplant when it was a scary, life or death situation my brain goes back to that moment. And when these pathways are created, it isn't just the physical reality, it's anything we perceived during that time. Which is why some people can be triggered by certain sights, smells, sounds... (@Denise_R talked about this a bit with her article on PTSD)

And since these memories are stored in the body, we can't heal them from a cognitive standpoint. It definitely helps, but to rewire those pathways we actually have to go back into the body. Doesn't matter the truth of what happened, healing comes from what our bodies perceived.

I could talk on and on about mind body connection, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks and how you've experienced this in your own life. What are your views/experiences with mind body connection and healing?

June 2, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

This is exactly what I experienced last night before labs today!! I get so nervous, can’t sleep you name it behind labs snd doctor appointments. I thought it was me being childish about my visits. Ready to learn more!!

June 2, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Deb yes! So much of what I’m learning is that this isn’t us being weak or just being negative or whatever. Our brains were actually rewired! This isn’t something one can just think their way out of!

part of learning this felt so freeing to me. It’s not me! Trauma literally shifted my brain

June 3, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

The brain is an amazing thing. I would never have thought that my brain was effected by my transplant. Thank you for sharing. This does make me feel better.

June 3, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Deb i know! When it’s all broken down transplant affects every part of us. Everything is so connected. I think it’s so cool seeing how everything fits together and plays off each other

June 4, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

It is amazing for sure!!

June 4, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am so different - I love getting labs and doing exams - it gives me more control and co trip is what I crave! I have being in the dark and uncertainty triggers me more than a bad result...

June 8, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin i love getting the results - hate the experience of getting them. I have the worst veins which doesn’t help! I think that’s why I have so much fear around it.

I also like getting my own lab results and calling the shots. My doctors don’t make decisions based on my labs - we do it together

June 8, 2021