General — TransplantLyfe

General

I was a drug addict

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
June 3, 2021 in General

Let’s talk about it.

I wrote a post today on being a drug addict post transplant. My brain had become so addicted to the drugs I had post transplant that I had to go through detox and get sober.

now, 10 months post transplant, even though I have no active memory of what created the addiction, I’m still battling that mental addiction to the drugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Wow! Thank you for sharing! I had bad reactions to pain medication and with my low blood pressure I don’t get much sedation but I know those medications can become addictive.

June 3, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda i was expecting to only be out for a day or so. Much to my surprise when I wake up 3 weeks later on a vent 😅 I knew I was on a lot so it makes sense I got addicted. Something about saying it that way, like I was addicted to drugs, helps me take some of that power back. It wasn’t me - it was literally altered brain chemistry

June 4, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 Yes! Take that power back!

June 4, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 wbat do you think caused the addiction? Have you had other episodes of addiction?? I have always had issues w pain meds since they cause nausea for me so I can’t take them very easily and can’t wait to get off them!

June 8, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin nope, that was my only addiction experience. I was on such a high level of sedation and pain killers for almost 3 weeks in the ICU. And I’ve always been not super responsive to drugs, like I need a lot for it to take affect, so I was on crazy high amounts. I also have a family history of addiction, so there’s probably some genetics to it somewhere

June 8, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

Thank you Alisha thank you so much. I can relate to this so much

June 9, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@AnnMarie i think drug addiction isn’t talked about enough. Sometimes it just happens and we need to recognize that and give people the supports to heal

June 9, 2021