General — TransplantLyfe

General

Peripheral neuropathy - a result of long immunosuppression?

AnitaCare Partner
June 5, 2021 in General

Has any one on this form experienced peripheral neuropathy? like the feet going numb even when the blood sugars are well in range?

how do you deal with it?

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• AnitaCare Partner

*forum, not form.

June 5, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I experienced this! Pre-transplant I used to get a lot in my feet, like what you're talking about. Now post transplant I still get it in my feet but mainly in my stomach. I was told it was from the nerve damage of both the surgery, the drugs and in my case pre transplant the blood sugar issues I had. I'd love to hear if other people have anything that might help but for me I do a ton of water therapy, essential oils, a heating pad... I also do physiotherapy to help strengthen and rebuild nerve connections all together, and I've found that massaging the area, even when it's not in pain has helped regain some sensitivity and decease that nerve pain

June 7, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi - I have not heard that transplant meds cause pnp but clearly diabetes and blood sugar excursions do!

June 8, 2021
  • trisha458Transplant Patient

I am a liver transplant 3 yr out and I have some peripheral neuropathy recently.I also have developed some painful calf cramps.

I think it is from the meds. I do water therapy and it seems to help some.

June 16, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I've had this but resulting from Lupus and not necessarily from the immunosuppression. I was able to remedy it naturally by increasing some of my vitamins. I was deficient in Vitamin B and D. The doctor has me take those daily. And I also added blueberries to my morning smoothies. I have not suffered from it for some time now. Maybe have the doctor check out your vitamin deficiencies if diabetes isn't the cause?

June 29, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jeanmarie yes! I always check to see if I have a nutritional deficiency first. It’s so easy to say it’s the drugs and use more drugs to treat the symptoms but a lot can also be related to other things or addressed in other ways.

Eating a more plant based diet did help me.

June 30, 2021