General — TransplantLyfe

General

Vegan? Vegetarian? What do you eat?

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
June 7, 2021 in General

When this question popped into my head I immediately thought of our skilled @ChefAmanda but I know so many of you probably have insights too.

Has anybody gone vegan or vegetarian after your transplant, or were prior to transplant and continued to do so after? What kind of things does everybody eat? I know we've talked about eating out and dietary restrictions everybody has but do you just intuitively eat what sounds good or have you found following a certain eating lifestyle like paleo or vegan works for you?

Also is there a study or something about what kind of foods are best and most nourishing for transplant patients?

signed a girl who didn't eat for 23 years so what do I know

Tagged:

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I personally never went vegan but I have went vegetarian. I found a difference in eating meat post transplant and not eating meat but I truly think it depends on the person. I feel like I have tried every diet under the sun but diets are just temporary. It’s all about finding the best lifestyle for you.

June 7, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda i totally agree! I was vegetarian for a while, and then my doctors told me I needed to eat meat so I did that but I didn’t love it. I do eat mainly vegetarian and plant based now just because that’s how my body feels best - but I do love a good steak every now and again 😂

June 8, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 I follow a similar lifestyle. It’s rare that I crave meat but when I do listen to my body.

June 9, 2021